• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Coathanger Asterism - Brocchi's Cluster

Perkil8r

Inspired by Friday night's session up at Belper, especially targets pointed out by Martyn, I decided to have a go at the Coathanger Asterism, AKA Brocchi's Cluster, which isn't actually a cluster afterall.

Scope is st80 with 350D. Best 80% of 20 subs each 30 secs @ ISO 800, Darks of the same and equal qty, plus 10 flats.

Stacked in DSS and tweaked in PS5, not as easy as I thought it would be to process this sort of thing.

Taken 30/07/12

I agree, but there are a couple of issues there.... The 350d on the st80 doesn't give enough FOV, only a wee bit more than is here. I cropped it to remove what appears to be a dust bunny at the very bottom, but not a lot has been cropped. The other issue for me, would be making it stand out enough.... I found processing this quite a challenge :o

I like it Mike.

The stars are nice and crisp.

Unusual target makes a nice change.