• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Pleaides (M45)

The star cluster M45, better known as the Pleiades or Seven Sisters, originally photographed on January 17th 2020. It was taken using a DSLR with 6 images at 2 seconds exposure, ISO 6400 and 300mm focal length.

M45Y20JanD17RY21MayD14

The nebulosity is starting to show after only 12s that shows a lot of potential......I dont know what kit you have (mount) but if you can increase the sub length and do lots more of them it will dramatically improve.

1 hour ago, Peter Shah said:

The nebulosity is starting to show after only 12s that shows a lot of potential......I dont know what kit you have (mount) but if you can increase the sub length and do lots more of them it will dramatically improve.

Unfortunately, I don't have a driven mount. If I go to 2.5 seconds I start to get trailing. One thing I have been experimenting with is reducing the focal length for these types of shots. For example, I have found that the Beehive (M44) shows better this way. I am getting the message that not everything DSLR-related is about 18mm or 300mm. There is a lot of room in between. Maybe a driven mount might be a possibility one day but, at the moment, ready cash is in short supply.

3 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

Unfortunately, I don't have a driven mount. If I go to 2.5 seconds I start to get trailing. One thing I have been experimenting with is reducing the focal length for these types of shots. For example, I have found that the Beehive (M44) shows better this way. I am getting the message that not everything DSLR-related is about 18mm or 300mm. There is a lot of room in between. Maybe a driven mount might be a possibility one day but, at the moment, ready cash is in short supply.

when I was a teenager these driven mounts were very rare ....I made one out of a couple of pieces of wood and a hinge with a screw thread...it works great. Called a barn door tracker.. Very simple and will get you started.

https://www.instructables.com/Build-a-Motorized-Barn-Door-Tracker/

not mine just one i found on google

FC4PKNEHOHYJG7D.jpg?auto=webp&frame=1&wi