• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Hi all.

johnst

Hello all, visited the site at Belper which is only a few miles from where I live last week and was there with my son and grandchildren, couldn't resist getting up at 1 am and having 90 mins with my phone app. Found out about this forum so have joined - hope it's as good as SGL. Have been a visual for years and done some basic imaging but now trying a bit of serious stuff before I get past the sell by date!

John 

Hi John, welcome to the forum, if you have any questions then just ask away. What equipment have you got?

Currently I have a -

WO Megrez 72

6" homemade Dobsonian

Celestron 15x70 Skymaster Pro Binos

Carl Zeiss 7x50 Binos

Star Adventurer with WO mod wedge 

Canon 700d Modded

Canon 70-210 F4 

Celestron xcel 25 & 12.5 eyepieces 

Borrowed Nagler 31mm eyepiece

Panoptic 24mm eyepiece

Several Hyperion eyepieces 

ASIair Pro Bundle - recently aquired.

Sold some of my gear last autumn (scope & mount) to reinvest for imaging. Hope I've done the right thing, still learning massively especially with the ASIair and the short nights aren't helping. Getting geared up ready for the partial eclipse on Thursday!!

John  

Hi and welcome to the forum, I’m the chap you spoke to on the phone yesterday evening.  Glad to see you made it here. 👍

Edited by Daz Type-R

Hi John, a warm welcome to the group. Have a look round and make yourself at home.

I look forward to meeting you in the future.

Hi John, welcome aboard. I'm just a visual monkey but there are plenty of helpfull APers on here. Just shout in the right thread and you'll get all the help you need.

Won't have time to look around today as we're heading off to Bridlington on the east coast tonight for a couple of days for the eclipse, so can I ask what image quality do I set my dslr at, it has been on RAW lately. Thanks for any comments.

Welcome, John. Wth your kit, the only problem is knowing what to use, how and when. There's loads of things you can do with just your Canon and Star Adventurer mount. One object I think you should try is M4, a globular cluster in Scorpius. I think if you can get it for about 10-15 seconds exposure about ISO 800 you should get a good shot. A bit later in the year, there's M8, M20 and M22. Difficult but not many people do M22, so I would be very interested to see what you get.

Hi and welcome, John.

Many experienced imagers here, so you've come to the right place.