• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New APM 'Superzoom' eyepiece 7.7mm - 15.4mm

Bino-viewer

Hi guys. My 3000th post !! 😀 

I've been following the development of this new zoom and am quite intrigued by it.

Although i've struggled a bit with the ones i've used, namely the Baader 8 - 24mm,

this new design has caught my attention. I like the idea of quickly being able to increase magnification,

say during those brief moments of steadier seeing, and the possibility of 'splitting double stars' in real time.

Its been debated at length both on CN and SGL, and is being manufactured by Kun Ming United Optics in China,

who have been producing some pretty impressive eye pieces of late.

It has a useful 7 - 15mm range, its Parfocal,  and promises a flat field of view, a sharp, clear and distortion free image

with a constant field of view of 75º  over the entire adjustment range. This, and the quoted 18 - 20mm of eye relief

has really got me interested. Its also suitable for faster optics and even has upper threads allowing you to use 'Dioptrix'

type correctors.

Availability is scheduled for July 9, although this has been put back a few times already so far. Price will be €395.00

I'm interested and have enquired about a preorder, as it looks to being in high demand once available.

I'm not planning on a pair for binoviewing and want to use it mono with my Baader diagonal and have that Powermate option as well.

This is the 'Astro version' below.

B8BFB698-631E-446F-86EF-0780D1234182

Link here to full details :

https://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/hot-products/new-apm-super-zoom-eyepiece-7.7-mm-15.4-mm-1.25-connector.html

• Like 2

Seems quite similar to the Pentax XL zoom.  How do you think they would compare?

Hi Bryan.

I remember you posted about zooms for binoviewing last year. Are you still considering something ?

Personally, i've tried the Baader version, but they were too big and unwieldy for me + too heavy.

I think the Pentax version is more similar to the current Baaders and is even bigger.

This is a new design from APM all-together, with a constant 75º fov and good eye relief and is allegedly parfocal.

Markus Ludes who runs APM is expecting big things from it so it seems.

It will be interesting to see how it performs. I'm planning to use it mono view only, mid to high power with an

without a 2x amplifier.

Looks heavy, but the constant 75° FOV could be a game changer. That would set it apart from the BHZ and Pentax XL.

7kl9Taul.jpg

The Pentax XL is heavier than the BHZ but is quite similar in many respects. The smaller XF can display lateral colour.

cNILCjkl.jpg

• Like 1

Rumours were floating around that ithe new APM zoom weighed as much as a kilo. (Nagler 31 territory)

But although theres seemingly no official weight for it, i think it will be a fair bit lighter than that.

Rough dimensions indicate its similar in size to the Tele-vue Ethos range so one would expect a weight range of 500-700g

Still a big lump of glass, and probably too much for me to consider binoviewing with.

I have tried a pair of Mk4 Baader zooms (and Docter 12.5mm) but found them too big and bulky.

It was over 2kg all in ; nothing the focuser couldn't handle, but enough to cause balance issues.

Thats just me though, and i just prefer smaller eyepieces for two eyed viewing.

4 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

Rumours were floating around that ithe new APM zoom weighed as much as a kilo. (Nagler 31 territory)

But although theres seemingly no official weight for it, i think it will be a fair bit lighter than that.

Rough dimensions indicate its similar in size to the Tele-vue Ethos range so one would expect a weight range of 500-700g

Still a big lump of glass, and probably too much for me to consider binoviewing with.

I have tried a pair of Mk4 Baader zooms (and Docter 12.5mm) but found them too big and bulky.

It was over 2kg all in ; nothing the focuser couldn't handle, but enough to cause balance issues.

Thats just me though, and i just prefer smaller eyepieces for two eyed viewing.

Yeah, it looks like it would be pushing a kilo. I think your estimate would be close. The BHZ was designed to be as light as possible but I imagine a pair could affect balance. 

ReGK8cOl.jpg

I may try these in my bino. Not quite the in the same league but they're very light. For what they cost they're surprisingly good.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

It looks a good well made eyepiece,  I'll look forwards to seeing how you get in under dark skies. Thanks Rob.

That looks a good piece of kit. Worth the wait I hope. 

8 hours ago, Streetbob said:

That looks a good piece of kit. Worth the wait I hope. 

I'm getting used to waiting for astro stuff.

Both the eyepiece and scope took over a year to arrive after ordering !!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Mine arrived today, and I'm impressed with its performance - very flat field and even illumination with a constant AFoV. 

I was rather surprised by the amount of re-focussing necessary as the focal length changes.  In photographic terms, what makes a lens a "Zoom" lens is that it stays in focus as the focal length changes - what in astro terms is parfocality - so this and pretty much all other variable astro lenses are what a photographer would call variable focal length lenses, not zooms.

Excellent views of the moon, with a useful range of magnifications.

I'll be getting the M43 adaptor to fit my Dioptrx and see how that goes.

Its field of view is very similar, despite the fact that its maximum focal lengtrh is less (its AFoV is more, and constant across the focal length range).  It's a while since I had a Baader Mk4 but the APM seems brighter, with a more evenly-lit field and greater sharpness at the edge.