• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Rowan mod - how good?

johnst

I'm looking out for a second hand HEQ5 during the summer and not sure whether to go for one with the Rowan belt mod or not. I notice that FLO are selling them already modded at over £100 more. OK, so I'm not advanced in astro imaging but I'm improving all the time. Am I getting carried away with myself and just settle for the basic HEQ5 or should I go for the modded version. I am aware of what the mod does to the mount so I would like to know the thoughts of members generally. Any comment much appreciated.

John  

I have fitted hundreds of belt mod conversions to mounts.

Whilst the standard mount is good the belt modded mount is brilliant.

The belt mod takes all the gear train backlash out of the equation.

At £100.00 more it is a bargain as the belt kit cost that on its own. 

Edited by Graham

I take it that you modify mounts locally then for people you know. What I'm asking is do I have to check who has done the modding if I buy one that has been done, or can anyone do the modifying, not sure about this! 

I used to run Astrotec Limited and may do again very soon.

I had customers all over the world.

The HEQ5 is very simple to do the belt mod on because unlike the EQ6 you do not have to completely strip the mount down.

With a few instructions you could do the HEQ5 yourself.

But like I say if the one from FLO is only £100.00 more then you would be daft not to go for it as it would be fully guaranteed.

If you bought a standard mount and then bought the belt kit it would cost you more and you would void your warrantee fitting the kit. 

FLO do the standard HEQ5 for £999 and with the mod it's £1,169 but with a 2 year guarantee. My point is that there was one available on Astro buy and sell recently, modded for £700, £470 difference! Can't really afford  over a thousand pounds - can't really afford £700!

At £700 it is over priced unless it is next to new.

A good HEQ5 with a belt mod should set you back around the £500 mark.

Keep watching ABS they come up regularly one there. 

Plus one for the belt mod on heq5.

I used my heq5 for years mainly for visual with a bit of imaging then modded it and found it a much nicer mount to use and 100 extra for a ready modded is a good price

HEQ5's do turn up on AS&B but they can be anywhere in the country, waiting for one in the Midlands is trickier whether it's been modded or not. I'm pretty good at DIY generally but not sure about dismantling a mount!! 

Thanks, Graham, for the confidence booster, will have to check out the YouTube videos and ask any questions on the forum! Not got the HEQ5 yet, still looking! 

An interesting point here, if I find a modded HEQ5 will it be done buy someone capable or would I have to check that out. Or, is a modded mount done professionally or by anyone? Not sur on that!

11 hours ago, johnst said:

An interesting point here, if I find a modded HEQ5 will it be done buy someone capable or would I have to check that out. Or, is a modded mount done professionally or by anyone? Not sur on that!

It is simple to check out if it has been done correctly.

Just a case of removing the cover and having a look.

I hope it works out for you, but if it doesn't feel right don't be afraid to walk away.

That looks like a nice mount you've found there on SGL John. Congratulations 👍🏼😀

There are certainly some bargains to be found if you look around.

Hi all, so I met up with a lovely guy from Swindon area and the deal was done, really pleased at a good price. I did suggest that he would be made welcome on EMS but thanks to Glafnazur for mentioning the sale. It's now in my obs ready to be tested out so thanks. 👍

• Like 3

11 hours ago, johnst said:

Hi all, so I met up with a lovely guy from Swindon area and the deal was done, really pleased at a good price. I did suggest that he would be made welcome on EMS but thanks to Glafnazur for mentioning the sale. It's now in my obs ready to be tested out so thanks. 👍

You're welcome John,  I'm glad it was what you wanted 

• 11 months later...

Yeh. I'm one for the belt mod - did this myself with the Rowan kit from Rother Valley. Very happy. 🙂