• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A major grump

bryand

Am I the only one who despises the badges-and-ranks 'upgrade' to the site?

I didn't take up astronomy to be competitive.  I'll chug along at my own pace, in my own direction, thank you very much - and if you're anywhere near and going in vaguely the same direction, that's fine.  If not, that's OK too because one thing astronomy teaches you is that the universe in huge, so there's room for everybody.

So Craig: how do I turn off the panel with "today's badges and achievements" on it?

• Like 4

There's no way to turn off the badges and ranks on an individual basis I'm afraid.

The ranks and badges system is just a replacement for an existing system that we've always had, where you'd be given a rank and a number of "pips" based on how much content you've contributed. The ranks have just been made a bit more visible and the pips have been replaced with the badges. The ranks and badges are personal to you, there's no competitive comparison between members. The only truly competitive part of EMS is the leaderboard, which shows who won each day by posting the most popular content.

If the notifications for the achievements bother you, you can disable those completely by going to your notification settings: https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/notifications/options/

image.png.dde6f8c2e64c79e0532b0cc690b582fa.png

Have to agree Brian 👍 I’m assuming you’ll get another badge for most liked content now 🤔

Edited by Bottletopburly

2 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

I’m assuming you’ll get another badge for most liked content now 🤔

I can allay your fears quite easily:

image.png.b9b11265ae06f261b51812dd69ab4067.png

The awards are for milestones. If you see them popping up a lot at the moment, it's because the system is catching up. (You got one yourself just now, when Ron reacted to your post, because you have 2,048 reputation. You therefore qualified for the 1,000 badge.)

The same goes for other activities too.

Logging in and time you've been a member for: (milestones, primarily targeted at newer members, nothing after 365 days)

image.png.7841b83b4a5f04405370d0dd513080b8.png

Posting content: (again, milestones and primarily targeted at newer members, nothing after 500 posts)

image.png.38f31e4583597507974e20d8af81565e.png

There are then a few one-offs that can be awarded, such as Picture of the Month Winner.

It may not be to everybody's tastes, but it's hardly awarding badges for everything. It's just milestones.

Not wanting to distract from Craigs sterling work over last weekend (which i'm sure we all appreciate) i'm in broad agreement with you Bryan.

To me all these badges are largely irrelevant and and i too, would turn them off if i could.

Milestones are fine if they are noteworthy, for example someone's 1000th post.

But i'm not sure we need to know who is 'hugely popular' ?

And in such a prominent position as well ?

I always thought this forum and SGL used the same type of software ?

Yet SGL has none of this stuff on there ?

Their format is preferable to me : a right hand column consisting of

Latest posts

Recent topics

New classifieds

Upcoming events

Latest images

Etc Etc....

Anyway i've changed my profile pic to Capt Mainwaring (looking grumpy) as a protest 😉

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

Anyway i've changed my profile pic to Capt Mainwaring (looking grumpy) as a protest 😉

I love that show. Worst protest ever. 🙃

As I said, I know this will know be everybody's cup of tea, but it is part of the software and we have utilised it. It is just a bit of fun and a way to recognise contributions. Rank is based on overall contributions and badges are based on milestones. The "Hugely Popular" recognises getting over 1,000 reputation points, and so it is a milestone.

SGL happens to still be using the old system, so it is there but in a slightly different guise:

image.png.a11d0c0c200e68696403030412d444f9.png

EMS has always had this in some way too:

image.png.e54883eff886f3c96b72b73fecc512c3.png

As you can see above, we had "pips" too, to show your rank in a graphical way. It's that rank and those pips which have been replaced by the new system.

1 hour ago, Bino-viewer said:

And in such a prominent position as well ?

I've re-positioned it to be a lot lower, now above the Popular Contributors box.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Craig said:

I've re-positioned it to be a lot lower, now above the Popular Contributors box.

That looks better.

Thanks Craig.

31 minutes ago, Craig said:

Much better sir.

30 minutes ago, Craig said:

That’s a reasonable compromise because it’s much more ignorable down there.

It's smashing, fun, reminds me of filling my arm with badges in the cubs and scouts lol 🙂

• Haha 2

Hi, 

It's like being in the cinema, 'you can't please all of the people all the time but you can please some of the people some of the time'. I've only been in the forum a short time so I've not noticed badges etc much and not really fussed about it. I'm on to chat to fellow astronomers and share my enjoyment of this great hobby of ours. The amount of advice and info that's about is invaluable. 

9 hours ago, philjay said:

I look upon stuff like this as a requirement that you young uns need these days 🙂with your soshal meejah stuff 🙂

You couldn't be more on the money if you tried. 😄 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Can we have a badge for 'Most inappropriate content that we still managed to slip past the mods'?  I'm all for competition!