• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Daytime photography with the Canon EOS Ra

alis80b

59 minutes ago, Graham said:

Now there are some familiar sights. 👍

Indeed, though it was a good while back.

Edited by Ibbo

1 hour ago, Graham said:

Now there are some familiar sights. 👍

Ahh 😊

It was my first time to Suffolk (in fact my first UK holiday in the past 18 years 🙈). I absolutely loved Aldeburgh! Definitely want to return! 

I quite fancy trying to get some Milky Way shots with the boats in the foreground 😊

4 minutes ago, alis80b said:

Ahh 😊

It was my first time to Suffolk (in fact my first UK holiday in the past 18 years 🙈). I absolutely loved Aldeburgh! Definitely want to return! 

I quite fancy trying to get some Milky Way shots with the boats in the foreground 😊

18 years is a long time, I have not been aboard ( unless Scotland and Wales count) since 2006 and that was for a special event in Turkey.

Graham and myself worked on the site of a rather large project in that area but we did not know each other then.

I did quite a bit of exploring in that area in the evenings as it kept me out of the pub while later on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ibbo said:

18 years is a long time, I have not been aboard ( unless Scotland and Wales count) since 2006 and that was for a special event in Turkey.

Graham and myself worked on the site of a rather large project in that area but we did not know each other then.

I did quite a bit of exploring in that area in the evenings as it kept me out of the pub while later on.

Travel was my big passion in life until Covid put a stop to it 😩

It was one of the reasons I took up astrophotography as a new hobby, it gave me something else I could take photos of 😊

I was really impressed with Suffolk so am going to try and find some other dark sky sites around the UK. I can’t see myself dragging my telescope and all my gear on a plane anytime soon (even when the restrictions get lifted).

It takes me all my time to lift it from my garage to my garden 😂

Ahh that’s funny how you both worked on the same site and then your paths have crossed again with Astro 😊

Nice colour balance and no real indication it is astro-dedicated to me. I've got an astro-modified Canon 5DMkII and even with the IR filter removed I can get back to "normal" using an on-camera custom white balance setting

Very good colour and white balance. I used my modded 1000d a lot on terrestrial by just doing a custom white balance frame and using that every time. It still had a slight red hue but was easily processed out. I used it for a wedding once as official photographer and it performed well

1 hour ago, Chris P. said:

Nice colour balance and no real indication it is astro-dedicated to me. I've got an astro-modified Canon 5DMkII and even with the IR filter removed I can get back to "normal" using an on-camera custom white balance setting

I was pretty surprised and really pleased that I can use it for daytime photography. Makes it better value for money 😊

1 hour ago, philjay said:

Very good colour and white balance. I used my modded 1000d a lot on terrestrial by just doing a custom white balance frame and using that every time. It still had a slight red hue but was easily processed out. I used it for a wedding once as official photographer and it performed well

I was really surprised with it. It didn’t seem to show any red issues at all, even just using the default white balance settings on the camera.

I was so pleased with it i’ve written to Canon to tell them 😊

Great images, Alison.

Coincidentally, I watched a YouTube vid a few days ago stating the Ra maybe has an automatic undocumented daylight WB mode, hence better than expected daytime images.

Nico Carver, of Nebula photos fame.