• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron Starsense?

johnst

Hi all, just bought an HEQ5 modded recently and looking forward to using it with the ASIair pro when it gets darker, however I've read about the Celestron Starsense and I'm thinking it does the same job or am I getting confused. Not sure how the Starsense works, any advice welcome.

Starsense is a camera whose pictures are plate-solved by computer.  It can accurately align the attached scope if the sky is dark enough. It may fail between May and the end of July.  I have only used the version for Celestron scopes.  From what I understand, Asiair is a raspberry pi computer with many useful functions but no built in camera.  So the two aren’t strictly comparable.

Before you rush out and buy one please be aware it will not work with your HEQ 5.

Celestron and Skywatcher speak different languages. 

I've just bought a Starsense for Skywatcher second hand but it only arrived at the weekend so not had chance to use it yet. Besides being able to use it on my Skywatcher EQ6R -Pro I can also use it on my old Celestron CG5 mount by not using the interface box. It is virtually brand new and I got it for £200 off ABS with P&P included which is half the current asking price. I am just waiting for a cable to arrive so I can do a firmware update on the hand controller of the CG5.

So it now comes with an interface for Skywatcher then.

Or do you have to buy the box of tricks for Skywatchers separately. 

Edited by Graham

Just had a look on FLO and it comes complete.

About time they started making these things universal.

You got yourself a bargain there Dave. 👍

7 minutes ago, Graham said:

Just had a look on FLO and it comes complete.

About time they started making these things universal.

You got yourself a bargain there Dave. 👍

Yes, I've been looking for a while at the second hand market and missed a few that were around the £250 mark and then this one popped up and it was from an ex EMS member who is selling up, Peter Sullivan who was Tweedledee here.

1 hour ago, Bottletopburly said:

That’s a shame if Pete’s selling up 😞

It is indeed. 😢

• Like 2

Yes, in his email to me he said his interest in astronomy has declined and he is selling up