• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Giving up on solar H alpha for now

It looks like we are moving house next month, so time for viewing and photography will be limited.

I am just not getting anything in my Coronado PST. Historically, I got my best shots with a more active sun and compact digital camera and my DSLR does not perform so well afocally. I also read on another forum that the IR cut-off filter ruins the photos. All of our compact digicams have packed up and they don't seem to work with later versions of Windows.

I'm actually getting better results using my DSLR and Baader filter. Again, I need to make a new filter for my Maksutov but will be short of cash until a few weeks after the move. We should have lower outgoings once we move but one always ends up with something on or slightly over one's budget.

8 hours ago, RonC said:

Where are you moving too Phil??

About 6-7 miles west to Corsham. Its slightly smaller and new build, so easier to maintain. I think the skies will be slightly darker, too.

Hope your new sky gives good views. Good luck with the move.