• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The perseids are coming

cosmic dave

Not long till one of the best (the best imo) annual astro events returns. Any plans for observing the perseid meteor shower this year guy's?.

Edited by cosmic dave

Hi Dave (stranger!) I have a new sunbed just waiting for those nights!!

Still got my pair of sunbeds, can't wait perhaps a visit to badger farm is on the cards Ron 

The past couple of years there has been a small meet at Tannenbaum for Perseid-spotting.  I'll probably be doing the same this year.

• Like 2

I'm up for that Bryan.

I actually think the Geminids are the better of the two, problem is they are in December and its around 15ºC colder......!! 😀🥶

5 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

I'm up for that Bryan.

I actually think the Geminids are the better of the two, problem is they are in December and its around 15ºC colder......!! 😀🥶

The warmth of an August evening tips the scales towards the perseids for me, I'm a bit of a wimp with the cold 🥶

On 12/07/2021 at 22:58, bryand said:

The past couple of years there has been a small meet at Tannenbaum for Perseid-spotting.  I'll probably be doing the same this year.

+1 for that. 

• Like 1

OK I'm booked in at Tannenbaum for the nights of the 12th and 13th August.

Others are welcome to join me (contact Sharon directly on 07929 345622 for bookings).

To encourage the turnout, I'll bring my BBQ and give a free hot dog to anyone who turns up before 9:00 p.m. on either night.

Who could resist ...

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have booked in for 10,11,12th  hope to see some of you up there (site fully booked for 13th) it will give me a chance to check the caravan out locally.

• Like 1

Pleased to report i'll be joining the party on Thursday 12. Just booked it with Sharon.

One night only for me : i have no tent or camping gear, so i'll be dossing down in the back of my car

in a sleeping bag for a few hours.

Lets hope for a good night !! 😀 

I will bring a scope and hopefully do some observing as well 🔭🪐

Hi everyone I came to this page as I was looking for somewhere close by to observe the Perseids meteor shower this week. I am in Leicester and I have a newly developed interest in astronomy. I don't have any telescope etc. Is it worth me trying to book a pitch at the site you've mentioned? My other option is camping out in my back garden 🙂 Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shweta
More info

Hi and welcome.

You don't need a telescope or binoculars to see meteors, the old eyeball will give you the best widest field of  uninterrupted view that you need. You'll also need something like a sun lounger or something warm to lie on so you aren't crimping your neck to look up. You will also need really warm clothing, including your big socks and boots, it drops very chilly and you could also end up covered in dew so waterproofs wouldn't be a bad idea to have handy. I use a pair of fishing trousers and jacket which are insulated and waterproof.

Other than that some where dark. I guess that anywhere near Leicester will be heavily light polluted, so maybe somewhere like Rutland, or in between Leicester and Market Harborough would be dark enough if you don't fancy the drive up Belper. That said, you would be very welcome and if you weren't camping and staying over, then you wouldn't need to buy a pitch.

I think the East Lincolnshire astro club are holding a meet at their dark site in the Lincolnshire wolds if u fancy a road trip shweta ?

Thanks cosmic Dave. My 2 boys also want a glimpse of the meteor shower so I think we're going to take Baz's suggestion and head a bit out of leicester to avoid the light pollution. I'm a total newbie to this so just wasn't sure if we could just stop anywhere that's dark enough and also wanted to find somewhere safe. The leicester astronomical society could have helped but they seem to have stopped their meet ups since covid!

• Like 1

Although I'm in Ilkeston now, I'm originally from Leicester, Thurmaston to be precise. Burrough on the hill is nice and dark, been there a few times. A bit of a walk from the car park but nice and dark with good views. Fosse meadows out near hinckley isn't bad either, and although not as dark, there is always Bradgate.

We did a perseid meet at Gibraltar point Skegness once, was fun explaining to the police why loads of people had decided to lay on their sun loungers in the car park in the middle of the night 😆

• Haha 3

Has anyone here managed to get good views of the perseids uptil now? I'm hoping to star gaze tonight but the forecast says cloud cover so I'm not too hopeful. 

I've only seen 1 so far, last night through a small hole in the clouds but a hour later it was 100% cloud. However, I woke up this morning to a blue sky so it obviously cleared sometime during the night. Perhaps I missed quite a few!

Had an hour on the beach last night, saw plenty of perseids and 3 bright sporadic meteors. 🙃

Hi everyone I was out in my garden between 1-2am last night and saw atleast 20 meteors,  some bright and some literally tiny flashes in the sky! I was well amazed I could see these many from the middle of Leicester! It was exhilarating! Not sure what sporadic meteors are but some of the flashes I saw were green, others white.

• Like 2

I had nearly two and a half hours with no cloud. I only saw about half a dozen Perseids though. I was spending a lot of time at the eyepiece so I might have missed some.

Unfortunately due to work commitments I wasn't able to stay up but I did pop out for a couple of minutes before I went to bed and saw one so I went to bed Happy 😃