• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Powermate?

johnst

Didn't know which section to put this in as I could be using it for visual and imaging but can anyone tell me how good TeleVue Powermates are. I am looking to get a 2.5 x for my Megrez 72 and use a/ my 24mm Panoptic and b/ my Cannon 700d with an attachment. Over £200 new but I'm sure I can get one second hand at a reasonable price. Any comments welconme.

Very good reputation , don’t own one myself  I use a Tal Barlow x2 

They are excellent. 

Beautifully designed and made and give excellent performance.

They will also hold their value well should you wish to sell later on.

I use the 2x and 4x and have had them nearly 10 years now. These are the 2" sized versions.

I would recommend opting for the 2.5x  version rather than the 5x. 

The 2.5x that David has linked to looks good.

• Like 1

Another 👍 for the Powermate .

They are expensive but worth every penny.

I've got the 2.5x and a 24mm Panoptic and I can easily do a session using just them! 

My 19mm & 24mm got out last night.

ZqG5XhRl.jpg

It's a pity the transparency low in the south was a bit pants. I did see The Lagoon and Trifid nebulae with the 24mm though. I didn't even need an OIII.

Can't afford getting the 19mm and a Powermate, trying to lean more toward imaging now but you can't beat visual!!

The 24 Panoptic is my favourite eyepiece as well.

I have 2 of them !!

Now you're really making me envious. I have looked through bino viewers and they were a delight to use but the thought of having to double up on eyepieces put me off, especially when you're talking 100's of pounds for one!

I have a 24 and 35 Panoptic, love them both but the 24 is the goto eyepiece for most of my observing

• 5 months later...
On 28/12/2021 at 19:36, Speed said:

Just ordered a 2.5X  powermate  after much debating   hoping it will be as good as I have read 

You won't be disappointed.

35 minutes ago, Speed said:

just looking for some cleat nights 😀

Looks like there may be some next week

Capture

• 3 weeks later...

My 4" stellarvue triplet apo can only handle so much magnification, my dslr can only hand so long an exposure. Everyone told me to not buy this, but to date its the best damn thing Ive added to my collection of accessories. I use this with a 40mm, 20mm, and 9mm meade 4000 series 7element fully multicoated super plossl's, and it is awesome. I even use it with my cannon t5i for planetary work, and for a few deep sky objects with relatively small apparent size such as ring nebulea. This makes all my eyepieces brighter, which is counter intuitive when you consider the physics, but I love it.

so I have used it a few times and am impressed    just surprised at the brightness drop off when using it with a 8mm televue plossl  from a 20mm televue plossl