• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Saturns rings and binoculars.

Kurios

Hello again everyone, apologies for my excited post last night which I think probably ended up in the wrong section of this group. Im still getting to grips with the app. (i cant seem to edit my typos either once posted 😬

Anyway, a quick google search of saturns rings through binoculars returns mostly information telling me that a telescope (albeit only a relatively cheap one) is necessary to see the rings of saturn. Well that doesn't seem right?  I definetly identified the rings (appeared as one ring I suppose) through my 20 x 50s. 

When I switched to my other cheap pair (from decathlon, about £40) I could see them even more clearly albeit still obviously just a faintly. 

This surprised me as the aperture on the decathlon set has about half the aperture (they don't even state what the aperture is) and has x12 magnification. I believe the coating on the decathlon binos is superior however due to the lens being deep red as apposed to the 20 x 50s having the slightest hint of a greenish tint to them. 

Any thoughts? 

Anyhow it was the first time in my life seeing the ring around saturn and it was fantastic, I still can't believe it was that easy from my own back garden.. 😍

• Like 3

I have a telescope that was owned by my late father in law. Its a skywatcher, not sure what model, it doesnt seem to say. Sadly missing the eye pieces. Kinda wishing I could use it now. Saturns looking so good right now and I've got fair conditions on the nightshift app. 😔

Saturn is THE showpiece object in the night sky from a visual point-of-view.

And tonight, its at opposition. (ie the sun, earth and saturn are in perfect alignment) , with Saturn visible

all night long, albeit a bit low down in the south.

All modern optics will have coatings on them, often multiple coatings on each lens surface.

They do lots of things, ie protect the lens surface, reduce optical aberrations, cut down unwanted reflections etc, etc

I'm not sure why some are greenish or blueish while others have a reddish tint ?

One of my reflectors has a greenish tint, the other smaller refractor is red tinted. But they both 'do the job' !! 😀

To edit a post after you've posted it for typos etc : at the top right of the box are 3 horizontal dots. Click on them and the drop down section has an edit option.

I think you only have 20 or 30 mins or so to edit after posting if i remember correctly.

EDIT : see if you can upload a few photos of the scope in question, that will help us identify it 👍🏼

Edited by Bino-viewer

Yes, Saturn's rings are definitely a magnificent sight. You can see them at quite low magnifications. I've seen them at 12-14x although they start to really show detail after around 70x. You can see the Cassini Division at around 60x and above. I got around 130-150x on Saturn this morning with my 102mm Mak and a zoom. Although there was a lot of cloud.

bcCDoypm.jpg

Last year at opposition I caught the Seeliger Effect beautifully. Saturn should still be bright for a fair while after opposition.

Edited by Nightspore

Well what can I say its 10 past midnight anf I've just come in from the chill. I viewed jupiter with the old bino's again and!.... I can see 3 of the moons lined up to right of jupiter. I mean, i must have chosen a great time to start looking up I guess  because Id expect to have to splash out on at least a half decent scope to see those. Just tiny white dots, but definitely there.... Thrillling! 

8 hours ago, Kurios said:

Well what can I say its 10 past midnight anf I've just come in from the chill. I viewed jupiter with the old bino's again and!.... I can see 3 of the moons lined up to right of jupiter. I mean, i must have chosen a great time to start looking up I guess  because Id expect to have to splash out on at least a half decent scope to see those. Just tiny white dots, but definitely there.... Thrillling! 

PGoxflk.png

All four Galilean moons were visible at 00:10. Although earlier Europa and Io were much closer together so may have looked like one moon. A 70mm refractor should render the moons as tiny discs at anywhere between 70x ~ 100x. Often colour can be seen in them. 

aivBk08.png

Ah that must have been it then, I knew there were 4 moons, I wondered why I couldn't see the other. I figured it migjt be behind jupiter or it just wasnt bright enough to see with binos. 

If you have iOS / iPhone, try downloading the app :    'Gas Giants'

If i remember correctly, its free 

This shows you the position of  the moons (of all the gas and ice giants) in real time.

Its quite a handy reference, if you are out with the scope, and will give you an idea of when shadow transits etc are due to start.

3 hours ago, Kurios said:

Ah that must have been it then, I knew there were 4 moons, I wondered why I couldn't see the other. I figured it migjt be behind jupiter or it just wasnt bright enough to see with binos. 

I think Jupiter has 53 named moons, but you can only see the four Galilean ones with a backyard scope or binoculars. Sometimes the moons occult each other or have a close conjunction. 

Jr5oDFP.png

Sometimes the moons are in front of the planet, although they're easier to see near the limb. Transit shadows can often be seen even with 60mm refractors. Saturn has several visible moons. 

5jpThNwl.jpg

Titan is pretty big and you might see it through binoculars.

OsfnQhr.jpg