• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Good ole British weather

Kurios

The nightshift  app strikes again. Last night it had tonight down as "excellent". This got me all excited as I've no work tomorrow so it meant my first proper long nightshift learning the stars. Earlier today it changed to "fair". Meh, I thought thats still not bad and then earlier this evening it became "very poor"  but even that is an optomistic view looking at all billowing clouds flying past. You certainly can rely on the good ole british weather to be unpredictable. Disappointed doesn't quite cover it. Oh well, just have to wait for another night. 🙄

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure most weather apps don't work. I have at least three, on many potential observing nights they often all give totally different predictions. I end up just looking out of the window. If I can see stars I go out.

1bQFWeLm.jpg

Probably explains why my 60mm ED doublet has seen the most action this year!

Weather apps are there to raise up your hopes so they can then later cruelly dash them.

I'm on leave for a week starting on 23rd August and I've been looking on Metcheck and it has been giving clear nights all that week, I've just looked again and, yes you've guessed it, it now has cloud forecast nearly every night...…..  I agree with Nightspore, the only thing to do is to look outside using the good old mark 1 eyeball.

Im rapidly learning not to trust weather apps /forecasts for nighttime. Nightshift still says excellent for tonight again. Im sure that it is 

somewhere in the world but just not here. 

Sat 24 is the o lunch one I trust but thats only any good on the day, in fact hours before you go out. But it does show where the clouds are and you can use your own judgement based how they have been moving.

Windy is a good app which provides a huge level of  layers to look at. There is radar and satellite imagery within it, it has forecasts for aviation and other extreme sports which require good intell.

As mentioned, it really does try your patience and you soon become a pessimist, so when you do get a good night you do appreciate it. 

Up until recently I used meteoblue weather map for a good prediction of weather up to a couple of days before hand but this has gone doolally recently. I now use the met office weather amp which is a bit hit and miss. I use sat 24 for getting an idea a few hours before hand to see if it is worthwhile setting up or not wasting my time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Yeah it definately pays to have a back up hobby. It can be very frustrating. Sometimes the time can simply be spent modifying, DIY upgrades or brushing up on potential targets for when the weather clears.