• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

A crack at Saturn..

Derbyshire Dave

17 minutes ago, Clive said:

Nice image Dave, what focal length was it captured at?

I didn't use a reducer, so it was the full length of the scope, which I believe is 2034mm. Such a small portion of the sky to look at. I spent some time in the day lining up the finder and a 40mm eyepiece in the flip mirror to aid finding thngs. Still found it difficult, I de-focussed a lot to get a large blurry image which I could spot through the eyepeice, and then centred that and focussed again. It wasn't dead centre in the finder even then.

23 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Well done.

How many did you use in the stack?

I had previously set up Autstakkert to choose 100 frames or 55%, so it took 55%, or 1650 frames. Any suggestions as to how to choose the best options would be apprectiated.

50 minutes ago, Glafnazur said:

Is the LX200 an 8" scope Dave?

Yes 8" f10 ,flocked inside and I deforked it some years ago and it was given a new lease of lfe.

Edited by Ibbo

32 minutes ago, Ibbo said:

Yes 8" f10 ,flocked inside and I deforked it some years ago and it was given a new lease of lfe.

I can remember looking in the astro mags and thinking that I'd love one of those but I could never amass enough savings. I ended up getting an 8" Orion Europa which I've still got but not used for years now. 

2 hours ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

I had previously set up Autstakkert to choose 100 frames or 55%, so it took 55%, or 1650 frames. Any suggestions as to how to choose the best options would be apprectiated.

Dave 

I use 50% of frames in Autostakkert.

Set on Planetary , mode 6. 

Make sure you add extra selected areas to cover the rings.

As you have not used a Barlow you could also try 3 X De-convolution 

I set it to auto generate in Registax.

Looking at your image you have over cooked the wavelets hence the grainy appearance.  

I normally only use the 6 , 5 , and 4 sliders in Registax and in that order.