• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSLR white light shot

4 hours ago, Graham said:

You have some good granulation showing through there Phil.

Thanks, Graham. At the risk of trumpet-blowing,  I think i am pushing the boundaries of what can be done with a DSLR. Not everything works, though,

Really good Phil, you should be well pleased.. What kit were you using..?

1 hour ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

Really good Phil, you should be well pleased.. What kit were you using..?

iT'S via the link. DSLR and Baader filter at 300mm focal length, ISO 100 and 1/4000 second exposure.

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Have you tried using it in video mode Phil and then stacking the video .

Not for solar. I use a very short exposure for these shots and my camera will nt let me shoot video at ISO 100 and 1/4000 second exposure.

56 minutes ago, Sunny Phil said:

iT'S via the link. DSLR and Baader filter at 300mm focal length, ISO 100 and 1/4000 second exposure.

Thanks Phil

Hi Phil, I reckon you can improve on that with the dslr. Hope you dont mind a few tips.

Try a lower Iso, your image shows a lot of noise because of the high Iso, its not granulation because you have to have good focus for recording that and your image is out of focus. My image from yesterday, has reasonable focus but the granulation is barely discernible. With your film filter you should be able to use 400 or even 200 which will give a less noisy  image just try different speeds until you get a bright enough image but not too bright

Focus is the key. Use the Live View facility on the dslr and zoom right in on the spot group and nail the focus as best as you can. Put a coat or jumper over your head and camera, (ala watch the birdie) to put the screen in shadow to cut reflections and allow you to see the screen and get better focus.

Using video wont work very well if your focus is out I,m afraid. No amount of processing will rescue an out of focus shot  true of any photography really.

Using live view on the dslr and zooming in will help getting focus on lunar as well.

Most dslr,s have live view and most have a zoom facility.

Try it and you will push the dslr imaging further.

Its not all down to expensive kit either, I use a 1970s achromat refractor and a second hand mirrorles digital camera, cheap and cheerful 🙂

Edited by philjay

On 29/08/2021 at 19:50, philjay said:

Hi Phil, I reckon you can improve on that with the dslr. Hope you dont mind a few tips.

Try a lower Iso, your image shows a lot of noise because of the high Iso, its not granulation because you have to have good focus for recording that and your image is out of focus. My image from yesterday, has reasonable focus but the granulation is barely discernible. With your film filter you should be able to use 400 or even 200 which will give a less noisy  image just try different speeds until you get a bright enough image but not too bright

Focus is the key. Use the Live View facility on the dslr and zoom right in on the spot group and nail the focus as best as you can. Put a coat or jumper over your head and camera, (ala watch the birdie) to put the screen in shadow to cut reflections and allow you to see the screen and get better focus.

Using video wont work very well if your focus is out I,m afraid. No amount of processing will rescue an out of focus shot  true of any photography really.

Using live view on the dslr and zooming in will help getting focus on lunar as well.

Most dslr,s have live view and most have a zoom facility.

Try it and you will push the dslr imaging further.

Its not all down to expensive kit either, I use a 1970s achromat refractor and a second hand mirrorles digital camera, cheap and cheerful 🙂

I used ISO 100 and 1/4000 second exposure. Many shots are quick grabs between the cloud. You are right that the focus was out on this one but sometimes I am lucky and nail it. I have started trying out Live View but it is a learning curve.

On the other hand, 3 years ago, I did not believe it was possible to record sunspots at all with a DSLR at 300mm.

Many thanks, we are all learning. When life is less hectic, I have plans to replace my Baader filter on my 127mm Mak.