• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Why should I buy a telescope?

Kurios

Hi all, so as an astronimical newbie I've been scouring youtube and the Internet for beginner info. 

One of the most common themes is start with binoculars (which I have been doing with great pleasure) and the advantages of binoculars are usually - easy of use, broad field of view, inexpensive, probably already own a pair, allows you to see more than the naked eye, can view the planets, more mobile. etc etc. 

All of this is true and as I said Ive been enjoying learning the night sky and the constellations with the help of my trusty Bino's. 

So, the question. Why then does anyone by telescopes if they are less portable, less easy to use, more expensive and so on and so on. When and why should I buy a telescope? 

Edited by Kurios

Because  you can attach  your camera and unlock the wonders of the universe you simply can’t see with the naked eye  mind  it’ll suck you into a black hole and suck all your piggy bank savings in the process , Bino’s are great for wide field view but a telescope will give you a better  closer view you can even buy eyepieces to fit where the camera usually goes too 😆 it all depends on what you want to see .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Kurios said:

So, the question. Why then does anyone by telescopes if they are less portable, less easy to use, more expensive and so on and so on. When and why should I buy a telescope? 

1I8kDzNl.jpg

Depends what you mean by 'less portable'.

RR8srXzl.jpg

I second Grahams answer.

Bins are great for widefield and portability but you wont get the magnification required for more detailed observation unless you pay astronomical amounts of money for the big binoculars, (unless you build a pair like I did). But with bigger bins you loose the portability. OK one can get 20x and 25x in bins but they will need a support at those mags. Any higher mags are again in the realms of the mega buck binoculars.

To get the kind of magnification you will eventually want, you'll need some sort of support (usually a hefty tripod).

If you're going to be lugging a tripod around, the step up to a telescope isn't that great.

Next time we have a meet, come along and see what folk are using before spending any real money.

It really depends on what you want to view, scopes are like cars, some are fast and others can off road, another analogy. You can have scopes like refractors and a higher magnification for planets and lunar, or large reflectors and a low to medium magnification, but a with a much bigger light grasp for faint fuzzies.

Unless you have deep pockets, an infinite amount of patience and the ability not to swear much then I wouldn't get involved with imaging until you get to know your way round the sky and an understanding of the objects you are viewing. 

It also depends on your budget, your ability to hoof it all around dark muddy fields and where you can keep it in your house, bigger scopes take a good bit of room.

Let us know what stuff you are interested in looking at and roughly what you are looking to spend on it, then we can help you spend your money on something that you'll enjoy using. Don't discount second hand, all my scopes are pre-owned, folks tend to look after their astro gear. Just run any ideas past this lot to make sure you aren't buying a three legged donkey. HTH.

Edited by BAZ

Thank you for all the replies sorry for not responding sooner. I understand now and I think Im simply not ready or need of a scope yet. Much to learn. 

I'd definely like to come to the dark site for a trial however I've many questions even about  that? Do you go often? How far in advance do you arrange a meet?  What if it's not a clear night? (seems quite likely) how long do people tend to stay? (im thinking of work next day) do you sometimes go on a weekend? How do I get notified of a meet? 

Sorry a lot of questions there but as you can see I'm not quite sure where to start. Also I cant do wed, Thurs and fridays 😕

So, once someone become a dark site member you get access to some more threads and the darksite section. This allows members to call a meet whenever they want at either darksite. Please bear in mind that the Belper site is a working campsite and so It can be full during the summer and they do sometimes have events on. So if someone posts that they want to visit Belper an admin will contact the owner and confirm on the thread. Wymeswold site is a cricket ground so again they do sometimes have events on but tend to be earlier and they are happy for us to be there. Belper has toilet provision, Wymeswold does have a club house that we can use but at present we aren't due to covid.

Some people just go for a few hours, I've been known to be there till daylight it all depends. If the weather turns then we just don't go. No need to cancel and sometimes people will turn up just for the social side of things. 

If there is a meet and a member of staff is going to be present we would post on the open forum so new members will be aware.

Hope that helps, if I've missed something shout.

Thank you tuckstar that's very much appreciated I will keep an eye out for the next meet when a member of staff is going 👍 and see if I can attend. Many Thanks again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all again, so Ive been pretty quiet the last few weeks but Ive taken every opportunity to get out under the stars. Most of the time with my trusty binos. Really enjoyed the change in the stars that occurred around the start of oct with pegasus taking a prime position. 

I know this is going to sound ridiculous but for the first time in my 52 years I identified orion and his belt. I knew it immediately but have never really seen it before. 😳

Last night I decided that to try and find something other than a constellation or Jupiter and saturn. 

So I hunted out the andromeda galaxy and got my litte 70mm refractor out for it and finally realised what telescopes have to offer over binos. 

I know this is all really newbie stuff but Im learning fast. 👍

• Like 4

Hi Karl, sounds like you are having a great time out there. I remember the excitement of learning the sky and seeing new things. You'll have to try your 70mm refractor on the Orion nebula when you chance. 

The Orion Nebula is a classic target. I saw it early Sunday morning with my 72ED DS Pro. In good conditions you can get 140x, although it looks good at 25x. Best I got was about 60x although I tried 105x for a short while. It was a nice clear night but a tad humid and it affected the seeing. Look for Cr 70 at very low magnification. There is a serpent or 's' type cluster between Alnilam and Mintaka. Often called the 'Serpent Cluster'.

p7UNksK.jpg

I could see the Trapezium easily at 60x.

Edited by Nightspore
  • Like 2

Another nice object in Orion is NGC 2169.

See if you can chase it down.

Start at Alnitak, the left hand belt star and make an imaginary line to Betalgeuse (Red giant star, top left)

If you continue with this line again in the same direction, but only for 3/4 the distance you covered from 

Alnitak - Betelgeuse, you should find a nice little cluster with the catalogue name of NGC 2169 (amongst others)

Its also an asterism, meaning it has a makes a prominent pattern of something.

See if you can detect a hidden number.....??  (it may be inverted ; i can't remember which way round it is?)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

See if you can detect a hidden number.....??  (it may be inverted ; i can't remember which way round it is?)

I think it's the 'right way round' when viewed with no telescope image inversion / reversal.

Just came in, getting tired. I Had a go to ngc2169 tonight Im pretty sure I was in the right area,. I used stellarium to check I was in the correct vacinity but Stellarium gave away the hidden number (37) 🙄😂

Id already suspected a 3 but to be honest, I struggled to make out a 7. 

Still a pleasant evening and now bed beckons, night all

Edited by Kurios