• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

ken

hi my name is ken i have been doing astronomy about 8years  so  i am very much a newcomer  my equipment is a meade lx90 8 inch which i don’t use any more due to health probs my second scope is a explorer scientific 102 mm triplet i did buy a sky watcher 3 pro eq mount about 3 weeks ago but  found it a little bulky for moving  and using it  so now resides in spare cupboard till i can find a buyer for it  so about a week ago i decided on a  ioptron az mount pro to go with my refractor this i like very much  small compact  and easy to set up

and up to now works great except l cannot seem to get the wifi to work with sky safari 6 pro but away 

a big hello to everyone and i look forward to contributing to the group  i live in newton le willows merseyside  and getting on in years well 67 to be exact  my wife died  just over 5 years ago  we where members of the colwyn bay astronomical society north wales but i have not  been there since my wife’s death so i have decided to give astronomy another go  sorry for the boring introduction 

Welcome to the mad house Ken  👍

You will find a great bunch of people on here.

Edited by Graham

Hello Ken and welcome to EMS.

Believe it or not i actually drove through Newton-Le-Willows at 6 o'clock this morning !! (taking an empty train to Liverpool)

Hi Ken and welcome,

I have an iOptron AZ Pro, and used to have an ES 102 triplet.  They are a nice combination and less of a faff than other systems.

I have managed to get my mount to respond to my iPad with Sky Safari 6, but the compass in the iPad is so inaccurate that the link is more trouble than it's worth.  Usually just the single-star alignment does a good job of bringing the target within Telrad range - provided the mount is level (it's worth using a builder's level on the tripod before adding the mount, then levelling the mount with the three star screws).

a big thanks to everyone for making me feel welcome rob i live about6 mins walk from earlestown stationgive us a hoot next time ha,ha 

land brian good to here i made the wright choice regarding the  ioptron  mount and the scientific refractor all i need now is some clear sky’s i am so glad i joined this group regards

• Like 1

hi baz thanks for the welcome.just getting used to the group by looking at all the posts  .have you been a member very long ? you have probably read my introduction to the group good to have so many people to chat with  and know if i get stuck there are plenty of people willing to help 

regards ken

One of the founding members, we started as a local group on SGL, but rapidly outgrew that. So we met at a pub in Long Eaton and decided to start our own group 

You won't be short of folks to chat to, but be patient as it can be a bit quiet when folks are doing their own thing. As you can see, there isn't a shortage of talent, knowledge or in my case complete bewilderment. I hope you can get your enthusiasm back for the hobby, it can be both very frustrating and very exilerating. Let us know how you get on.

hi stephen thank you for your welcome i am really enjoying being a member not posted very much at the moment but i have enjoyed reading other posts i have had a great welcome  regards ken

Hello Ken, what a lovely warm welcome to the group and may I extend that welcome from myself as well. I am  very new to the group too. Im surprised you still consider yourself a newbie after 8 years. Ive only been looking skyward about 2 months 🤔 not long anyhow. Im a total novice and have got far to go but the pleasure is  immediate and Im enjoying it very much. Welcome. 

hi kurios and a big welcome from me  the group is really good i have not posted much as yet but some of the posts  are really interesting i am hoping to try and get into astro photography .you will have to let me know what equipment you have  mine is all new except for my meade lx 90 which is a great scope but i find it a little heavy these days  so  it is gathering dust so to speak under my stairs 

till i find a buyer are you a-member of any groups where you can take you equipment me and my wife used to be members of the colwyn bay a.s. in north wales the had  viewing nights in a little village above colwyn bay quiet a dark site  so some great views i really need to find another group nr were i live so i can get out there  i only have a small garden and just recently the council in its wisdom as stuck  an led street light right outside my garden so i’m afraid it’s daylight all night long  such is life  sorry  if am boring you  i don’t talk to many people so i tend to go on a bit especially if i have a captive audience  anyway welcome and hope to chat again ken

On 14/09/2021 at 17:13, BAZ said:

A warm welcome to the group Ken. I hope you enjoy your stay and feel free to ask any questions. Make yourself at home.

On 13/09/2021 at 18:36, RonC said:

Welcome Ken, a bit older than you at 72 but enjoying my astronomy!!

ron great pics on flickr what i would give to produce pics like that really enjoyed looking ken

5 minutes ago, ken said:

i only have a small garden and just recently the council in its wisdom as stuck  an led street light right outside my garden so i’m afraid it’s daylight all night long  

That sucks Ken, I feel for you.