• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

White light solar 20.09.21

Bino-viewer

• 2 weeks later...

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours bothering the sun this morning as a consequence of your report Rob. I used a full aperture filter on my 102 frac. Got good views of a large sunspot and a couple of smaller faint ones.  What is the advantage of a Herschel Wedge?  They are expensive have you found yours worth the cost?

• Like 1

As a first guess (not being a solar observer), if a Herschel wedge fails it will cost you more financially to replace but at least you will still have your eyesight?

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2021 at 15:16, Streetbob said:

I spent an enjoyable couple of hours bothering the sun this morning as a consequence of your report Rob. I used a full aperture filter on my 102 frac. Got good views of a large sunspot and a couple of smaller faint ones.  What is the advantage of a Herschel Wedge?  They are expensive have you found yours worth the cost?

I like to think its a little bit safer and more robust, and can show a bit more detail, but theres probably not much in it to a casual observer like myself.

As a mainly refractor user i've always like Baader stuff and its also easily adaptable for bino-viewing and imaging.

I purchased it about 7 years ago for an eclipse and Mercury transit that happened around that time. It doesn't get a whole lot of use, but 

i've never regretted buying it or wanted to sell it. Its a handy thing to have in my inventory.