• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Playing with the new lens.

Graham

Got this beasty off of Phil. ( Thanks Phil.)

It arrived this afternoon and was delivered to my neighbour.

As soon as I got home from work I collected it and installed a dovetail bar so I could try it out on the HEQ5.

spacer.png

As soon as it got dark I pointed it in the direction of the Veil and set the camera going to take 101 subs at 20 seconds.

Processed the subs in DSS and for some reason that hopefully some one can explain to me it stacked them in a narrow vertical strip instead of the normal orientation one would expect and only half the image.

I flipped it back round in PS6.

Any way I did a quick and dirty process of what I have as I have to be up at stupid o'clock for work in the morning.

It is not too bad considering half of it is missing. 😅

spacer.png

If anyone can tell me what occurred in DSS and how to fix it please do.

• Like 3

So once all files have a score graham right click on best score and choose as your reference frame 👍

7 hours ago, Graham said:

... If anyone can tell me what occurred in DSS and how to fix it please do.

What do the individual CR2 images look like when loaded into DSS? Do they look normal (4:3 ratio, landscape) or are they also cropped and rotated? If they are cropped and rotated then it must be a camera setting. If they look normal then you must have an odd setting in DSS.

6 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Try selecting intersection stacking in settings graham 

large.C3105651-0795-46CD-9355-34C04A567C54.jpeg.18e4518f80f358d69d6ded961c91700d.jpeg

I will give that a go when I get home David.

I had it on Standard mode.

6 hours ago, Clive said:

What do the individual CR2 images look like when loaded into DSS? Do they look normal (4:3 ratio, landscape) or are they also cropped and rotated? If they are cropped and rotated then it must be a camera setting. If they look normal then you must have an odd setting in DSS.

No idea Clive I will have a look when I get home.

I have a feeling they are normal.

Thanks

If you have a CR2 EXIF data viewer (eg EXIFLOG which is free) then that may give some clues if all else fails? If the individual CR2 images look normal I would do a reset to default setting in DSS. I would also recommend using the Mosaic mode when stacking, you get everything stacked and you can then crop as you see fit.

Had a look at the info on the images and they are all wrong.

It says the image is twice as tall as it is wide.

Need to see what is occurring with the camera.

• Like 1

Trying again tonight whilst the RC does its thing.

This time I am using my un-modded cannon.

I tested it and the images are the correct way round and full size in DSS.

Here's hoping for a better result.