• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M 27 from tonight 06.10.2021

Graham

Lovely example, must revisit this myself.  Getting a tad late in the year but might be able to squeeze it in.

A slight issue with star colour but that aside its a very natural looking shot...I really like it

1 hour ago, Peter Shah said:

A slight issue with star colour but that aside its a very natural looking shot...I really like it

I pushed the processing a little too far Peter.

I might have a go at running this through Pixinsight to see what I can come up with.

I have reprocessed this with the addition of calibration frames.

DSS Image.

A bit on the harsh side after converting to JPEG to load up on here.

The TIFF was a lot lot smoother.

spacer.png

Pixinsight Image.

This needs a lot more work and someone who knows what they are doing in Pixinsight.

I would like to get rid of the Halos and the gradients.

It is a huge image that only full res can do it justice.

So do the click on image thing to get there.

spacer.png

Are they the same data?  Is the first stacked in DSS and processed in PS and the second stacked and processed in PI? Their is a hint of a gradient in the first image but is the second more stretched than the first (also causing the halos to appear) revealing artifacts not removed by the calibration images (or added perhaps)?

1 hour ago, Clive said:

Are they the same data?  Is the first stacked in DSS and processed in PS and the second stacked and processed in PI? Their is a hint of a gradient in the first image but is the second more stretched than the first (also causing the halos to appear) revealing artifacts not removed by the calibration images (or added perhaps)?

Yup same data.

Exactly as you stated.

Image 1 - DSS and PS 6.

Image 2 - PI.

Did not do a lot with the PI image after the many hours it took to calibrate and align the 178 lights my eyes were going square and my head was starting to hurt 😂

Hours to calibrate and align? I would guess even with a slow PC with limited memory (like mine) DSS would do that number of subs in a few tens of minutes.

With that small field of view, I wouldn't expect even the worst light polution to create such a large gradient, so I just wonder if your calibration images are actually causing problems? What calibration images did you use?

DSS did it in a few mins it was PI that took hours to do it.

I used the normal 3.

Darks

Flats 

Bias

As a first guess I would suspect the flats not doing their job properly. If you have the time perhaps try with and without the flats and/or darks but keep the post stacking processing identical. Their seems to be no evidence of a gradient in the first image you posted.

Thanks Clive I will give that a go. 

The reason there is no gradient on the first one is because I hammered the hell out of it