• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Skywatcher Barlows?

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hello,

I am looking to buy a Skywatcher 2x deluxe barlow as recommended by some of you on here. Anyway I am a bit cofuzzled as two different websites show different images for the deluxe Skywatcher Barlow and I don't know which one is correct - or are there two sorts of deluxe 2x Skywatcher Barlows?

Here are the sites:

/>http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-Tal-x2-De-Luxe-Barlow-Lens-1-25-31-7mm-/p10700?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Telescope-Eyepieces-_-Telescope-Eyepieces-_-Sky-Watcher-2x-De-Luxe-Barlow-Lens_10700

and

/>http://www.365astronomy.com/skywatcher-2x-deluxe-achromatic-barlow-lens-with-tadapter-p-2441.html

I susepct the latter is correct but wondered if someone could confirm.

Thanks,

Melissa

Hi.

In my opion I would not get a Skywatcher barlow, I would throw another £15-20 (max) at that price and get a TAL, much better quality and will offer a better view than a Skywatcher one.

(Note - I know I have a Skywatcher barlow in my sig, but that was just a £5 purchase off a friend to get me started)

Just noticed that you posted another post earlier in the week asking a similar question and both Mick and Kim suggested a TAL.

Guest wisewoman

Hi Daz,

:o Gosh good job you looked at my other post - for some reason I had it in my head that it was a Skywatcher not a TAL that was recommended I think because I recently got a Skywatcher telescope I've got them on my brain!

Right I'm off to research TAL Barlows! Ignore my initial post! :P

Cheers,

Melissa

revelation barlows are a nice barlow for the money also, i have a couple and would also recommend them, there`s a load on the market and prices vary, but in my opinion anything which says ED on it is good enough. ED is a better lens than the very cheap barlows,

Guest wisewoman

I ordered a Skywatcher oops TAL from FLO :P . Just got email to say it has been dispatched so as you say - perfect timing!!

Cheers,

Melissa

Excellent - should arrive just in time for next fridays meet at the CC, are you going? - let us know how you get on and I may just get one myself.

Edited by Daz type-r

The TAL is a nice bit of kit for the money. I don't think you will be disappointed, I have one and it delivers great views.

I used to have one but lost it in a muddy field. Think it got trod in pretty deep, should have got out my metal detector :lol:

Guest wisewoman

Excellent - should arrive just in time for next fridays meet at the CC, are you going? - let us know how you get on and I may just get one myself.

Unfortunately next friday I am at my parents so can't make it. I didn't know it was on anyway so guess its time for me to head on over to the subscription section :D

Melissa

I'm waiting delivery of a TAL x3....it was dispatched 2 days ago so fingers crossed it comes tomorrow. I have the standard SW x2 barlow, it's OK I guess.....I also bought a revelation x5 and OMG it's hard to focus with it.

the 5x barlows are very hard work, but do give good image scale with webcams, i use my 5x witha flip mirror, it`s the only way i can get the image onto the chip.

the 3x Tal barlows are a really good buy, very heavy, but solid, i nearly sold it a few months ago but couldn`t bear to be without it.

Guest Kheldar

TALs are great, but I'm a snob when it comes to preserving my kit and won't let a set screw anywhere near my kit.

Compression rings or bust :D

Guest AstronomyShed

The skywatcher barlows are invaluable and if you don't have one, keep an eye on ebay where they regularly go for about a fiver, they're a bit like a multitool for telescopes, first, as a barlow they're decidedly average but fantastic for just using to do the barlowed laser collimation method, secondly, the lens unscrews so gives a brilliant little 1.25 extender for either extending a good barlow or for helping to hit outward focus with a diagonal removed, they also have a T thread on the end so can be used as a nosepiece for various bits & bobs.