• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Sky at Night or Astronomy Now

Glafnazur

My subscription to S@N magazine finishes soon and I'm wondering whether to swap to Astronomy Now. I used to buy Astronomy Now regularly many years ago then I stopped buying any mags for a while until I started buying S@N a few years ago. Does anyone here buy Astronomy Now and if you do what do you think of it these days?

I'm guessing you've seen the Astronomy Now website. I don't know how it compares to the actual magazine. I have The Sky at Night sent to my Kindle. There is no AN Kindle version AFAIK. 

I used to subscribe to Sky and Telescope, still get a copy once in awhile.

I used to get AN quite often but dont rate it much, prefere S&T. The reviews guy in AN winds me up, you have to plough through a load of introductory twaddle before he finally gets round to one or two sentences on the product. 

S@N, More aimed at beginners these days IMO. Rarely buy it.

Thanks for the responses, I suppose Sky & telescope is another option, I used to buy that too years back.

Finding S&T is becoming difficult, newsagents are a thing of the past and its also expensive.

I was a subscriber to Sky at Night for a year or two, but stopped it in favour of AN which i still get.

I prefer Astronomy Now.   I agree with philjay about the reviews but it is only a small part of the mag and S@N being more for beginners.  S@N isn't as detailed I find.  Haven't tried S&T, perhaps I should.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll give Astronomy Now a go.

S&T used to be a good magazine but I've not bought it for ages so couldn’t say what it is like now. I wanted to try and stick with a UK mag for now.

• 4 weeks later...

I remember the last time I looked at s and T it was solid with ads (I know you have to have some...)  which put me off.  Not a lot else in it I thought.  I usually only buy a magazine now if there's something it it I fancy, otherwise just rely upon online forums and whatnot.

• 2 months later...

Hi    I used to get Astronomy Now regular   the went to Sky at Night  then back to Astronomy now      did get Sky and telescope years ago but agree very difficult to get now days      so Astronomy Now at the moment but as and when 

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to this, my February copy of AN was delivered this week, along with an email to say it was my last edition unless i renew my subscription.

Perhaps time for a change....?