• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Need help setting up my equipment

pooky2483

My equipment;

Celestron CGX Equatorial 1100 SCT / ZWO ASI183 PRO / ZWO ASI120MM MINI / ZWO M42/M48 OAG

I've installed the driver software the best I can. I've installed ASCOM, Stellarium, CPWI, APT, PHD2, Sharpcap & N.I.N.A.
N.I.N.A is instaleld but I've not yet used it as I want to try and sort out the problems first.

I know the numbers are all wrong, but I am trying to get everything working before tweaking the numbers as i've not yet even been able to do a 3 star allignment due to not been able to see any images from the camera's.

This is the image I get from my ZWO ASI120MINI OAG camera;
86l0xWbl.png

This I get from my main camera;
VJfFNBsl.png

I'm also having problems with my ZWO EAF, I am unable to control it as it looks like it's not set up right;
wSt6u2Fl.png

My first guess is to ensure that with an OAG that both cameras come into focus at the same time. My 120 mini came with it's own image capture software so I assume the 183 also does. I used that software on a distant daylight target to adjust the focus so that will be close to the focus needed for the nightime objects.  That way you're not relying on your other software to work correctly 'out of the box'.  Then, as you say, it's a case of installing (and getting to work) each other software package in turn.

Try it in daytime on a distant tree or pylon to get focus.

With the kit you have it will be a very small field of view.

3 hours ago, Ibbo said:

Try it in daytime on a distant tree or pylon to get focus.

With the kit you have it will be a very small field of view.

Not possible as I have a farmers field with large tree's at the bottom of our garden and on the right is a huge house blocking the view and to the left is a main road with more huge trees, I am blocked in visually.

5 hours ago, Clive said:

My first guess is to ensure that with an OAG that both cameras come into focus at the same time. My 120 mini came with it's own image capture software so I assume the 183 also does. I used that software on a distant daylight target to adjust the focus so that will be close to the focus needed for the nightime objects.  That way you're not relying on your other software to work correctly 'out of the box'.  Then, as you say, it's a case of installing (and getting to work) each other software package in turn.

Not possible as I am having great trouble getting the camreas to work. I also need to get the back-focus set correct to 146.05mm and fiddle about focussing the OAG guide camera. Yes, ZWO does do a FREE piece of softwarw, which I will now download and check out. And as for doing any focussing in the daytime, read the above reply to a previous post.

Edited by pooky2483

Sorting things in daylight is so much easier (and far less frustrating since you are not wasting imaging time). You could still use the farthest object (even if it's only a few tens of feet) to sort the cameras and get their focus roughly aligned.

Blimey, straight into the deep end there Peter. I hope you get it resolved, I am an eyepiece botherer, so not much help to you.

44 minutes ago, Clive said:

Sorting things in daylight is so much easier (and far less frustrating since you are not wasting imaging time). You could still use the farthest object (even if it's only a few tens of feet) to sort the cameras and get their focus roughly aligned.

I've got a range finder which I use for shooting (.22 Air Rifle) and the farthest object I can see from my back garden is the tops of some trees at about 250yds.

7 minutes ago, pooky2483 said:

I've got a range finder which I use for shooting (.22 Air Rifle) and the farthest object I can see from my back garden is the tops of some trees at about 250yds.

That is doable and will get you near then you can try it on the sky

Edited by Ibbo

One step at a time , install ascom and I’m assuming Eqmod ? Get your mount talking first through Eqmod so you can connect and slew NSEW , then install APT and get that to connect to mount  , then install your camera drivers one at a time and connect imaging camera and connect to Apt,  then install phd2 and then guide camera and get phd2 to connect to guide camera, then configure Apt to talk to phd2 , leave Stellarium until last , work your way through everything slowly and read the instructions for each software 👍.

I have also just discovered that my scope (mount) is somehow set up wrong. I am using Stellarium to select objects and our garden is facing South, so the home position is facing North (going over our bungalow). My location is 52°52'58.1"N 1°30'06.5"W and the HOME position should be the North star, which it IS physically pointing, Stellarium shows it pointing to VEGA!!!.

4ga94LXl.png

8 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

One step at a time , install ascom and I’m assuming Eqmod ? Get your mount talking first through Eqmod so you can connect and slew NSEW , then install APT and get that to connect to mount  , then install your camera drivers one at a time and connect imaging camera and connect to Apt,  then install phd2 and then guide camera and get phd2 to connect to guide camera, then configure Apt to talk to phd2 , leave Stellarium until last , work your way through everything slowly and read the instructions for each software 👍.

With Celestron, they suggest CPWI, so I'm using that to connect the mount and to guide.

I've already got programs installed;
ASCOM, CPWI. Stellarium, APT, PHD2, Sharpcap, N.I.N.A & ASI Studio

[EDIT]
Which one do I download?
a49rEtRl.png

Edited by pooky2483
Added screenshot

You only need one image capture software , choose one and forget the rest you’ll just end up confusing yourself maybe worth talking with someone that uses a Celestron mount I’m not aware of anyone on here but maybe wrong or else you’ll end up downloading software you don’t need and start getting conflicts with software.

If you're using ASI cameras and guiders etc, wouldn't an iPad and ASI Air be an easier option ??

No, I've done it this was as my wife, who is also interesten in astronomy is disabled and can't stand for long and is unable to tolerate the cold.

• Confused 1

I've fixed it, it was the cable coming from my ZWO EAF to my ZWO 183MC Pro. I've heard that the cables supplied are of a low quality and people are replacing them with better quality ones.

Edited by pooky2483
  • Like 2