• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Perseids

catman161

Hey guys,

Just thought I would share my session with the perseids meteor shower Last night.

It actually started on the way back from dinner with the in laws. My wife ( :) ) was driving so I thought I would keep my eyes skyward. The skies were clear on the dark roads around Daventry. Within a couple of minutes I saw two very impressive "fireball" style meteors. Both of these were at least mag -1 and lasted for a good 10 seconds before "going out". Then the rest of the journey was fairly quiet with just 2 more very quick green streaks across the sky.

This sparked my enthusiasm so when we got back to Leicester I got my carp fishing "bed chair" out and put the kettle on and made a thermos of coffee. I had no idea where I was going to go as it was about 11:30pm and Perseus and Cassiopeia were blocked from view by all the houses. I fired up google earth and had a quick scan of the surrounding area looking for fields! I opted to drive out towards a small village called Peatling Parva as I remembered from when I have been fishing out there that there is hardly any light out there. I headed out there but decided to stop in between the village of countesthorpe and Peatling Magna. The reason being that it was very dark (compared to the centre of Leicester where I live!) and there was a small lay by next to a field that had no livestock in it. Probably a bit naughty to sit in a farmers field I know. But I know the owner (not extremely well admittedly) of those fields as he also owns the lakes which I fish in Peatling Parva and he is a lovely guy and I do not think would have minded. Just in case I took money with me if he came asking, with the intention of asking him if I could stay and offering him payment and leaving if he was not happy. Nobody came the whole time I was there and just 2 cars came up the road.

So I put my bed chair up and faced it in the general direction of Perseus and cassiopeia. By this time it was half midnight. I got out he trusty iPhone and fired up the counter app that I had seen advertised on the NASA website that allowed me to log when I had seen a meteor and it's magnitude and record audio notes on my observations. The conditions were not good with transient high level cloud, but frequent gaps. However even in the gaps it was hazy. I stayed out in the field until about 03:50am. I saw a total of 24 meteors the brightest being -1 mag. Tht one was beautiful with a long "tail" bright green in colour which dissipated in approx 1.5 seconds and left my eyes flashing green for good couple of minutes.

I decided to call it a night as the cloud was just too much. I headed back home and just had a final hour in the garden (Perseus and cassiopeia were now well within view) and saw 4 more. I logged them on the counter app and hit send which sent my observing data and audio notes to the people at NASA and a nice little message comes up thanking me saying that my data will be used by NASA in their ongoing research. Then I hit the sack at about 5am.

All in all the weather could have been a lot better but it was warm (12-14 degrees) and I saw a fair few meteors, 2 of which were absolutely stunning and I thoroughly enjoyed the quiet and solitude after the chaos of changing jobs, turning 30 and getting married all in one month! :o)

Dagnabit - I looked out a couple of times and only saw cloud. Wished I'd persevered now.

Sounds great Felix. I'd happily keep you company if you go out again, but the forecast is looking ropey for the next few days.

Sounds like you had a fairly good night Felix, I wasn't so Lucky! Due to go to Gib point for the ELAC meeting but the grand kids we were babysitting were so naughty

and rebellious I just could not leave the wife and go!! Never mind there's still a few nights left!! Hope you've caught up with your sleep!!

Ron

Oh that's a shame Ron :( Kids eh?! Well hopefully there will be some clearer skies for you too and you are able to get out :)

Thanks Dan :)

It's strange because I wasn't actually planning on going out but when I saw the two on the back from the in laws I thought "why not?"

Despite the less than perfect weather I am glad I made the effort as I saw some nice ones, particularly the "fireball" ones. Plus it's just insane to think how old the meteors are!

Shoulda called me up too Felix - I would have joined you - in fact we've got a massive dark field just round the corner here in Groby - much nearer to you. Like Steve I looked out a couple of times in between the clouds but didn't even see a single one. Good report though :)

I had a mini observing session on Friday night at the caravan, just me, my 10x42 bins and a lounger and I counted 16 in one hour.

Well done Felix it sounds a great night.

A nice report with a great "feel" to it if you know what i mean.

reminds me of my younger days when i would take a flask of tea and head out over the local Misk hill to just stare at the

night sky.

Pleased you had a very successful night.

Shoulda called me up too Felix - I would have joined you - in fact we've got a massive dark field just round the corner here in Groby - much nearer to you. Like Steve I looked out a couple of times in between the clouds but didn't even see a single one. Good report though :)

Sorry Kim, I did have a moment where I was laying wondering if you might be watching them on your drive. I thought as I was crossing fosse park roundabout about going via yours but thought because of the high cloud that you may have gone to sleep so didn't want to be that "annoying person" that calls round unannounced in the small hours and then makes you feel obliged to let me in! Will bear it in mind for future! :)

Did not see a thing here hope to night as a clear spot for me

Pat

Hope you get to see a few Pat and the skies clear!

I had a mini observing session on Friday night at the caravan, just me, my 10x42 bins and a lounger and I counted 16 in one hour.

Well done Felix it sounds a great night.

16 in an hour is great going Mick. I imagine that was perfect your setting-sun lounger caravan close by for a brew anytime you want, beautiful :)

Did you see any fireball type ones?

A nice report with a great "feel" to it if you know what i mean.

reminds me of my younger days when i would take a flask of tea and head out over the local Misk hill to just stare at the

night sky.

Pleased you had a very successful night.

Thanks John,

Yeah it was a really nice time to sit and reflect and watch the meteors. I must admit it would have been perfect if the skies ha been crystal clear, however we can't expect too much here in the uk. I'm just glad I got to see as many as I did :) I'm a bit gutted I was in the car for the two fireball type ones though-but then that's what motivated me go out to the field so all good

No fireball ones just your basic strak of light for maybe 1 second at a time.

I did notice that most of them originated outside Perseus and generally came from the Capella region of the sky heading towards Perseus.

Dagnabit - I looked out a couple of times and only saw cloud. Wished I'd persevered now.

Sounds great Felix. I'd happily keep you company if you go out again, but the forecast is looking ropey for the next few days.

That's good to know Steve if I go out again I will be sure to call on both you and Kim. Is always nice to have people to chat to. The forecast wasn't great for last night either, but I had driven a fair way so settled down and drank my coffee and just waited for the gaps in the cloud :)

Nice report Felix, I sat with the curtains open at home constantly looking up, but there was soo much cloud in Hucknall last night and a real orange glow to the sky :(

Gave up about midnight and went to bed, woke up at 2 for another look, 20 minutes later - nothing, up again about 4:15, could just make out the moon and Jupiter through real hazy cloud and then they vanished as well, damn cloud!!

Hoping for better luck over then 2 nights but it aint looking pretty!

Thanks Darren, yeah I think I just lucked out with the two awesome ones en route from Daventry and just was lucky with the transient high cloud out near countesthorpe.

I did think though, the NASA app I was using to record the magnitude of the meteors had a range of +3 to -2 with everything in between, but the magnitude ratings I was giving them cant have been technically accurate because of the hazy cloud. Luckily you could record audio notes to send to hem through the app so I mentioned that. I mean if it were a crystal clear night I think that a lot of them would have appeared much brighter than the rating I was giving them last night due to the constant haze even when the clouds had parted.

No probs Felix - actually - I'm now wondering what a newly married bloke is doing on a camp bed in the middle of a field all Saturday night lol :)

No probs Felix - actually - I'm now wondering what a newly married bloke is doing on a camp bed in the middle of a field all Saturday night lol :)

Ha ha ha! Yeah good point, well made Kim. The answer being that we have been together for 10 years already before getting hitched ;)

She was tired from the drive and her first week as a qualified dietitian in Warwick, so commuting etc etc-long and short of it was I had seen two fireballs was amped to see more and asked her she wanted to come, she said no an and I said "bye!" :)

Awww poor thing - yeah commuting is a big strain - I don't blame her - that's why I never make Friday obs meetings :)

great report Felix, i looked out just after midnight last night after getting back from a bar b q at friends and didn`t see a single thing, lots of clouds and the odd star, usual thing this year

I had a quick look after the end of the Olympics ceremony and saw a couple, but it hazed over after 20 minutes or so.

At least you got to see a couple :) forecast is looking decidedly rainy (quelle surprisé) from now on though :)

Just tried again - 1 hour stood in the front garden. One meteor! Maybe I need a dark site or are they just not performing at the moment?

That is a shame Steve-it is tailing off now though. Nice one eddy. They're great to see huh? :)