• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

DSS woes..

RonC

I had this problem a while ago but it's happened again.

8 subs from 35 stopped DSS from working, I gradually found and deleted them till I was able to stack them.

I can see no difference in the good or bad subs?

I am using the Altair Astro driver in APT but maybe that's the problem, so my next time out imaging I

am going to try the Ascom driver for the 183c that I used up to this Summer.

I'll let you know if it changes anything but any more suggestions would be welcome..

Ron

I assume the raw input images to DSS are FITS files? If so, I'm sure their's a FITS file checker (NASA?) to check the FITS file validity.  If they check out OK, it could be the latest version of DSS has a bug.  Could you upload one or more of the offending images to a file sharing site to see if anyone else has the same problem? (I'm still using V4.1.1!)

I assume the older files previously gave an image? Are the older FITS files from a 12 bit camera (so they may appear to be 16x fainter if the latest version of DSS assumes they are from a 16 bit camera? I think their is a setting to correct it if it is?).

I'll check that out Clive, when i say old I mean earlier this year with the same camera..

So what's changed? Have you updated to a new version of DSS? Have you changed your method of image capture/download, eg a newer version of some other software (including Windows)? Have you changed your camera settings (gain/offset)?  If nothing has changed then I would expect the same result?

So would I! The only thing (I think) I've changed is using a camera specific driver in APT instead of the Ascom driver. I'll change back and see what the next imaging run looks like!

Got some subs done last night using the ASCOM driver. Works on DSS on my tablet but when I run DSS on the PC it does all the stacking and after 'aligning channels' it brings up and empty screen??

But at least it stacks them!!

Pacman neb from last night.

Just 10x 240s +Dks, Flats and Dk flats

large.Pacman291021F240FinishSmall.gif.fd27e4c315ae8e9253470fd2ffc6fcdd.gif

• Like 3

What version of APT are you using, Ron?

I don't have an Altair, but the native driver in the latest v3.88.7 beta seems to work with my QHY, so you might want to try that?

Regards

Kev

Hi Kev, using 3.88 APT, using the Ascom seems to have worked. I'll put a query up on the APT website today..

Cheers

Ron