• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

New Member in Leics

Josh Hodge

Good Morning all, 

I’m brand new to stargazing, managed to purchase pretty much a full kit very recently. 

skywatcher discovery 150p with go-to mount. 
skywatcher mobile power station with torch. 
number of eyepieces and barlows

wifi dongle. 

Really enjoying learning the night sky and constellations from the back yard although living in Kegworth with close proximity to junction 24 of the M1 and East Midlands airport the light pollution stinks. 

I managed a trip to surprise view last week which was a huge difference. Saw the rings of Saturn and Jupiter which blew my mind. 

Looking forward to seeing all the help and advice come my way! 

speak soon. 

Josh

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum.  From where you are, you are within fairly easy reach of both of our dark sites; Wymeswold is near Loughborough and Tannenbaum is near Belper.  Keep an eye out for posts on the meetings forum - there may not be much advance notice because the weather is so changeable.  Apps like Clear Outside and Scope Nights are useful but not 100% reliable guides.

See you soon.

1 minute ago, bryand said:

Welcome to the forum.  From where you are, you are within fairly easy reach of both of our dark sites; Wymeswold is near Loughborough and Tannenbaum is near Belper.  Keep an eye out for posts on the meetings forum - there may not be much advance notice because the weather is so changeable.  Apps like Clear Outside and Scope Nights are useful but not 100% reliable guides.

See you soon.

Hi Bryand, 

I live in Kegworth and know wymeswold well due to playing cricket there. It’s about 15 mins drive away. 

I saw on a post from years back that the site is not in use has this changed? 

as with most forecasts recently it’s been hit and miss so I’ve got no issues dropping things “if the stars align” as they say 😂

Wymeswold is still in use, though the clubhouse isn't available due to Covid, and Monday nights are Scouts/Guides night so best avoided. 

A good site for impromptu visits, but will be lit by Leicester's Diwali lights this week.

Hi Josh, welcome aboard. Feel free to ask any questions you may have in the relevant threads. I see you have already signed up for dark site membership so you are welcome to use the sites as you wish. Just start a new thread in the darksite section if you want company. Wymeswold is available when ever but we do have to let the owner of the campsite know if we are planning to use the site at Belper (Alderwasley). Its rarely a problem this time of year but can be busy in the summer and they do sometimes have events on. So if you start a new thread saying you intend to visit, one of the admin team will arrange access for you. Belper is the darker site but beware its always a few degrees cooler up there.

Edited by tuckstar

1 hour ago, tuckstar said:

Hi Josh, welcome aboard. Feel free to ask any questions you may have in the relevant threads. I see you have already signed up for dark site membership so you are welcome to use the sites as you wish. Just start a new thread in the darksite section if you want company. Wymeswold is available when ever but we do have to let the owner of the campsite know if we are planning to use the site at Belper (Alderwasley). Its rarely a problem this time of year but can be busy in the summer and they do sometimes have events on. So if you start a new thread saying you intend to visit, one of the admin team will arrange access for you. Belper is the darker site but beware its always a few degrees cooler up there.

Appreciate the note Tuckstar, I’ll bear that in mind. 

depending on events outside my control this evening might be a good shout for me to try out wymeswold. 

Hi Josh, a warm welcome to the forum.

If you have any questions, then feel free to ask, someone will be along to help out. Have a good browse round, there is a huge amount of info on here in one form or another.

Enjoy your stay.

Welcome to EMS Josh,

Sounds like you're keen to get out there, so looking forward to meeting you at one of the dark sky sites.

We also have the annual pilgramage to Kelling Heath in Norfolk, and occasionally other places like Exmoor. Keep an eye out for relevant posts