• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Suffolk Camps suitable for Astronomy

Carastro

Living in SE London (Bortle 8), our local society tries to get to campsites with dark skies as often as we can, but our little local campsite has been difficult to get into this year due to the post pandemic rush on UK Camping holidays and other factors as well, so we have been looking further afield and one of the areas we are considering is Suffolk.

We have had both Haw Wood and Mill Hill Campsites suggested to us, but some of us use Glamping PODs (had enough of tent camping) and Haw wood doesn't have any, some of us have campervans and some use their own tents. 

I rang Mill Hill today, and whilst they have everything we need, they said they do not allow groups of more than 2 pitches due to their rules on not having Groups there even if we book separately it will be obvious we are a group.  I came across the same on another Suffolk campsite who even said if they discover you are part of a group they will ask you to vacate the site!!!

So just wondering  if any-one knows of a dark site camp site that has Glamping PODs (at least 2) and will also take Campervans and tents all with Electric hook up and not in the middle of trees and will also take a group of us.  I doubt we would be more than about 10 pitches. 

Tall order I know but thought I would ask.

Carole   

A bit off the beaten track for us midlanders Carole.

Kelling is perhaps a bit too far, but maybe @Graham being local will have some suggestions ?

Very poor attitude from those 2 places you tried.

I'd have told them where they could stick it personally.

Hi Carole

Unfortunately being local doesn't help as I never use the local campsites.

There are a couple of good sites around Saxmundham you could try.

There is also a very good dark site in Newbourne but I do not know what they cater for in Astro terms.

I grew up in Newbourne and can vouch for the Darkness, the nearest street light is about 8 miles away or it was when I lived there.