• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Baader diamond steeltrack question

Bottletopburly

Ive decided to upgrade my focuser on the 200pds to a baader  Diamond steeltrack now im currently  using a 2" clicklock M54  adapter but the caveat with that is it pushes the focus tube into the ota due to its size plus its the wrong version ,so i think i will just opt for the M48 fitting ,now is anyone using a steeltrack with the m48 fitting ,can anyone tell me can the camera be rotated to be orientated to the desired position  ?

(Headsup -  the click lock will be for sale if and when i get baader steeldrive )

I have a steeltrack for my refractor (waiting for an adapter so it can be fitted) the only way to rotate the diagonal/camera is to loosen the click lock and rotate the camera. There is no built in rotator. I would be interested in how you find the universal adapter as I may upgrade my 200 reflector too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

I have a steeltrack for my refractor (waiting for an adapter so it can be fitted) the only way to rotate the diagonal/camera is to loosen the click lock and rotate the camera. There is no built in rotator. I would be interested in how you find the universal adapter as I may upgrade my 200 reflector too.

When I say rotate I mean if I use the M48 adapter that can be used instead of using a click lock, I can’t see a picture of the m48 adapter so can’t see how this fixes to the steel track , wether there is a threaded fitting on underside, I will have a look on baader site see if any info .

found it , the underside has a S58 thread 

https://www.baader-planetarium.co.uk/shop/baader-diamond-steeltrack-m48-adaptor/

Edited by Bottletopburly

Got ya!  It’s a dovetail so you can set up how you wish when assembling. Not easy to rotate while observing. They are a beautiful piece of kit. I haven’t been able to use mine yet but just like to look at it. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

Got ya!  It’s a dovetail so you can set up how you wish when assembling. Not easy to rotate while observing. They are a beautiful piece of kit. I haven’t been able to use mine yet but just like to look at it. I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Ordered from widescreen centre as they seem only one to have stock which they confirmed today though no m48 adapter, Pavle at Deepskydad sending me a new bracket for my dad autofocus unit so all coming together 👍