• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Star Chart

Guest Justinshaw

Guest Justinshaw

Was looking out side last night and could see Ursa Major and Cassiopeia, but could I see them on my star chart for August, no I couldnt. made things quite difficult as Im just learning.

Think I need a new one

They will be there Justin, Cassiopeia and Ursa Major are visible all year round from our latitude.

Download the free palanetariums Stellarium or Cartes du Ceil.

Guest Justinshaw

Thanks Mick I will have a look later on

Jjust thought it would be handy to have infront of me while Im looking.

Totaly convinced they were not on this chart, i was sat for ages searching it thinking they have to be there.

Guest Tweedledum

HI Justin,

Have you got any planetarium software??. If not you can download stellarium from :-- http://www.stellarium.org/

It is a free software program, there are others but this is probably the best starter. You can take screen shots and know what you are looking at as it will show the constellation names & markings. If you have a laptop you can set it to night vision mode too!

Best Regards

Damian

Edited by Tweedledum

Hi justin, if you're looking for a good sky atlas I would recommend the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas. Absoutely cracking atlas and handy A5 size. Is red light friendly too. I take mine out every time.

Another vote for the pocket Atlas, very useful.

It has loads of information for a small Atlas, and the pages are plasticized, so it doesn't go soggy.

Hi Justin, i have to agree with the others. I have a copy of the pocket atlas and i take it with me to meetings at Gibraltar point. You are more than welcome to have a look at my copy if you are at the next meeting. Try before you buy. :D

Guest Justinshaw

Hi guys thats great thanks, I had a quick look though and could only find a couple online, will keep searching.

Thanks Mark will be good to have a look first.

Justin, just make sure your looking at the north in the northern hemisphere. I know it sounds silly but your could be looking at stars down under ???

Guest Justinshaw

Hi David

This may be the case as in the explination it says it shows a map for the Northern hemisphere looking South and a map of the Southern hemisphere looking North.

So as long as you dont want to view anything looking North you would be fine with this book. but even the view looking south is confusing and doesnt look like one I have checked out on http://www.astronomynow.com/sky_chart.shtml Which has seemed more acurate. but again its online.

Searching more of the book I have it gives a whole sky map for Northern hemisphere for each season, with choice at moment to use either June 21st or September 22, so I will see if one of these is more useful for now :)

Hi David

This may be the case as in the explination it says it shows a map for the Northern hemisphere looking South and a map of the Southern hemisphere looking North.

So as long as you dont want to view anything looking North you would be fine with this book. but even the view looking south is confusing and doesnt look like one I have checked out on http://www.astronomy...sky_chart.shtml Which has seemed more acurate. but again its online.

Searching more of the book I have it gives a whole sky map for Northern hemisphere for each season, with choice at moment to use either June 21st or September 22, so I will see if one of these is more useful for now :)

its easily done at the beginning, :D see you at the next meet and please bring some clear sky with you.

Guest Justinshaw

Thanks Pat that looks really good,

With a good star chart I think I will be heading in the right direction

David I will give the clear skys my best shot for next meet