• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

15Aug12 visual observing session.

andyboy1970

First time using my not quite finished Obsy.

All viewed through a SW127Mak on a pier mounted HEQ5.

Started out by refining my polar alignment using Synscan v3.28.

Following the August Sky at night tour-

M71 shows up well in my 30mm eyepiece, distinctly brighter core and ragged outline.

M27 in my 30mm eyepiece was larger than expected, easily visible dumbbell shape, no colour showing but lots of detail to view.

M29 difficult to decide if I was looking at it or not with so much going on in that part of the Milky way.

Epsilon Lyrae, cracking Quad star system, have viewed it through my 200p before but I think it is better through the Mak.

M57 nice blue tinge, no sign of any red showing.

M56 fantastic Globby, will return with my camera at some point.

I then got the Globby bug and moved on to M15 and M2 both show up well in the Mak without pushing the magnification.

Next up was Neptune, easy to pick out with it beautiful blue colour, with my 10mm eyepiece I could make out a very slight disc, noticeably bigger than a star and in focus.

Uranus actually wasn’t as good as Neptune but still showed a nice greenish/blue disc.

Back across to Collinder 399, The coathanger cluster, too big for the Mak even with the 30mm eyepiece.

Had a peek at M52, nice open cluster, better photographed than visual I think. Had a quick search for the bubble but to no avail.

Had a look at Albireo and was suitably impressed as usual with the fine Yellow and Blue double.

Sky conditions were poor at lower altitudes and marginally better high up with the Milky way just visable in Cygnus and Cassiopea.

Some refinements required on the roof opening system but it was nice to park the scope switch off and be inside within 5 minutes. The pier is superb and moving around the scope without any signs of vibration was great. All in all an enjoyable evening.

Good report Andy, glad you got a clear spell! How did you get on with flashing the handset to the new 3.28 version, I've yet to try??

Cheers

Ron

Good report Andy, glad you got a clear spell! How did you get on with flashing the handset to the new 3.28 version, I've yet to try??

Cheers

Ron

It was easy, Dion has a video on astronomyshed. The bit I always forget is to hold down the keys when powering the handset, this puts it in update mode.

Great report andy :) such a lot of detail and looks to have been an enjoyable session. I got the scope and bins out last night and only managed about an hour before my beep beeping neighbour turned outside light and all lights in hours (curtains open) on!!

I managed M3 and (a new one for me) the wild duck cluster (M11) :)