• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Observing logs and plans

Guest JohnC

Just wondered how many people actually keep logs of their observations.

Do you use books or computer logs?

I have come to the point where i am needing a bit more structure to my observing.

Plan on working through a few lists, messier, doubles etc.

Interested in how you all approach the hobby and how you get the best from it.

Cheers

John

I used to keep basic notes regarding objects viewed, scope, ep etc. with comments on seeing. Let it slip in recent times mainly due to not getting out much.

I have tried to keep a log, but it usually falls down with me getting all overexcited, and actually forgetting to write anything down.

That said, I do scribble in a little notepad, which is barely legible.

Many thanks for the replies.

i used to keep note books, sketches etc when younger.

I find it hard to keep up these days.

Must try harder :)

Going to have a go at sketching as i think it helps concentrate the mind and makes you stay with a target longer.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to keep loads of notes, write them the next day in an observing thread and post it on SGL.

I'm with Pat on this one, I normally concentrate on one or two constellations and try and see all the visible DSO's and double stars within them.

I've been wanting to compile observing logs for a while.

The Sky Safari app I downloaded last weekend has logging options built in that seems to work well and it's easy to add your own notes - will see how it goes.

• 2 months later...

I keep a log online: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.fr/

Sometimes I get a bit behind when I've taken lots of images in short space of time but I always catch up when it's cloudy. On days when I'm up to date and it's cloudy or I can't observe for other reasons I reprocess one or more old photos. I used to write my blog on my own site and use web tools but Blogspot is far easier to use and I don't have to keep updating links manually.

I also have a "Links" page on my main website: http://philippugh.comlu.com/Links.html

If you'd like your blog to be linked from my site on this page and/or you have a site you'd like included, please reply here. All I ask in return (if you can) is to put a link back to that page.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive kept a log since I was knee high, these days its done in work, if I cant be bothered to write it on the night because Im doing visual with no pc I use my dictaphone, (now on my phone).

Its very rare I plan what Im going to observe, except when imaging, it is so weather dependant so I just go for whats available between clouds.

The nearest I get to a plan is my double star spreadsheet which Im gradually working through and my lunar atlas. I just pick whats visible