• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Back door trails

Derbyshire Dave

Does the M5 take an E17 battery like my M6 does?  If so, I have a similar problem, and have ordered a mains adapter and dummy battery setup which will power the camera indefinately.  I'll let you know how it goes.

• Thanks 1

Nice Dave.

I like these shots as well.

Dummy battery for your camera here

F1TP ACK-E18 AC Power Supply Adapter DR-E18 Dummy Battery Coupler Kit Replace LP-E17 Battery for Canon EOS Rebel T6i T6s T7i T8i SL2 SL3 RP 77D 200D 250D 750D 760D 800D D850 8000D Kiss Cameras.…: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Edited by Graham
  • Thanks 1

This is the mains E17 battery adaptor I use for my Canon 200D:

Andoer ACK-E18 LP-E17 Battery Adapter Power Cable compatible with Canon 200D 800D 760D 750D 77D M6 M5 /Rebel T7i T6s T6i 8000D KISS X8i DSLR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076CK6JPF/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_XZSECTKZESFDHRMB42R1

It's chipped so that the camera doesn't complain that it's not a Canon product.

Edited by Clive
Typo
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Clive said:

Andoer ACK-E18 LP-E17 Battery Adapter Power Cable compatible with Canon 200D 800D 760D 750D 77D M6 M5 /Rebel T7i T6s T6i 8000D KISS X8i DSLR

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076CK6JPF/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_XZSECTKZESFDHRMB42R1

That spefically mentions the M5 Clive, thanks. I'm having trouble imagining how the cable comes out though, the battery door has no gaps. Can you explain how that works please

31 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

That spefically mentions the M5 Clive, thanks. I'm having trouble imagining how the cable comes out though, the battery door has no gaps. Can you explain how that works please

My 200D has a small rubber 'grommet' at the side of the battery compartment. It's well blended in so isn't obvious but, like the covers for the HDMI and USB connectors, it flips out so you can pass out the adapter cable and still close the battery compartment lid (as my camera won't work if the lid isn't closed).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clive said:

My 200D has a small rubber 'grommet' at the side of the battery compartment. It's well blended in so isn't obvious but, like the covers for the HDMI and USB connectors, it flips out so you can pass out the adapter cable and still close the battery compartment lid (as my camera won't work if the lid isn't closed).

I have a modded 1300D, I have just had a look at that and that indeed has a small (quite well hidden) rubber flap you can fold back. Alas, the M5 has nothing of the sort

47 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

I have a modded 1300D, I have just had a look at that and that indeed has a small (quite well hidden) rubber flap you can fold back. Alas, the M5 has nothing of the sort

Looking on the web it seems possible to use an adapter with the M5. A search should give a clue as to how (does the instruction manual not give a clue?)

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Clive said:

Looking on the web it seems possible to use an adapter with the M5. A search should give a clue as to how (does the instruction manual not give a clue?)

The manual does mention an adaptor "CA-PS700" For powering the camera using household power". Can't for the life of me see how it will work. I'll have a look tomorrow, imaging tonight, thanks for the tip Clive

2 minutes ago, Derbyshire Dave said:

The manual does mention an adaptor "CA-PS700" For powering the camera using household power". Can't for the life of me see how it will work. I'll have a look tomorrow, imaging tonight, thanks for the tip Clive

It looks like the M5 has a battery cover that allows a jack plug to be plugged into a socket in the dummy battery. The link to the dummy battery I sent you has a socket on the end of  flying lead so may not really be suitable for the M5?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Clive said:

From the pics on Amazon, it looks like the cable to the dummy battery is fixed.  The clip in the battery bay should hold the dummy battery in place with the battery door open, but then you would have difficulty fixing the camera to a tripod.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bryand said:

From the pics on Amazon, it looks like the cable to the dummy battery is fixed.  The clip in the battery bay should hold the dummy battery in place with the battery door open, but then you would have difficulty fixing the camera to a tripod.  

I doubt the camera will even work if the battery door is left open (my Canon D200 doesn't). On my camera, the dummy battery cable exits from the side of the camera body rather than the bottom, but I'm not sure about Daves M5.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bryand said:

Thanks Brian. No it doesn't work with the door open