• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Kielder Observatory Northumberland

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hey folks,

I know tis been a while since I last posted. Those Summer Skies and bright evenings just arent conducive to astronomy when one has to get up at 6:30am with a 1 year old!

Anyway, I'm typing this from Kielder Water where there is a public observatory that has public events on all the time. They have applied for Dark Sky Status and I must say the skies here are absolutely fantastic! If they are successful I think it would make this area the third largest Dark Sky area in Europe!

I visited the observatory last night and it's in a truly amazing location - high up overlooking Kielder Water. http://www.kielderobservatory.org/ Alas it was cloudy so I didnt get a shot on their scopes :(

This got me thinking... You can rent a house in Kielder for about £700 a week at this time of year ([presumably cheaper in Winter?). The one i am in would sleep up to 8/9 people. If enough people were interested then maybe coming up here is something we could consider doing?

Either way I thorouighly recommend it up here - its well worth the 3.5 hours journey up from Leicestershire. :)

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

Kielder is quite well known Melissa - a lot of folk go to the star parties there - allways fancied it myself but never actually tried it yet. :)

Actually I thought the same thing about cornwall. Going there next week and the skies in most parts are really dark. Expecially looking out to sea. We have a place there so possibilities at each end of the country.

Sheila

I was up there a couple of years ago in a cottage the other side of Kielder Forest just short of the border. This was before I had officially taken up astronomy and I spent hours sitting outside at night looking up at the stars wishing I knew what I was looking for. The sky was amazing. I'd love to go back with a scope.

I had similar skies in south west Ireland last year, just as good.

Guest wisewoman

Ssshhh don't mention the midges :)

I'm not going to mention the fact that I've been half eaten - didnt want to put anyone off of visiting this fabulous observatory ;)