• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Just discovered an Observatory in my neighbourhood!

Guest wisewoman

Guest wisewoman

Hey there,

So here's the story... for the last two years I had noticed what appeared to be an astronomical dome in the backyard of a house literally 5 minutes walk from me.

Today I was brave and decided to go and knock on the door! I met the owner, Genya, and he was happy to show me the 12" Meade LX200 permanently housed in this dome! He also does astrophotography and is going to email some of his pics.

When the nights are a bit darker, Genya is up for a few of us to visit the 'North Star Observatory'- so I'll keep you all posted :D Its very exciting!

Take that Loughboorugh University for never getting back to me about a visit to your observatory! Where there's a Will there's a way ;)

Melissa *very happy*

Edited by wisewoman

Hi Melissa,

Good find, I'll wager he's a decent chap as well. You just need a few clear nights now to be well and truly amazed.

Cool, good for you knocking on his door lol.....I don't think I could do that...maybe try and find out who lived there and go from there haha.

Guest Astroplodder

Indeed I have just joined (though not subscribed!)

Yes, it *was* Melissa who called - strangely, the first time I've ever had a "cold caller" :) I *have* done the same in the past (knocked on peoples doors) as I am also interested in Amateur Radio and large antenna arrays have a certain appeal :)

As Melissa says, I'd be very happy if people would like to come over and see the equipment. I'll post a photo (I think) if the file size isn't too big.

Do you have F2F meetings? I realise that membership is "East Midlands" so people are - probably - quite a distance from each other? Anyway, early days and there should be time to work something out.... :)

Right, I'll see if I can upload an image...

QRX (please Standby)

AP

Guest Astroplodder

I'm about to call it a night (literally - whilst I'm retired, my partner Sue isn't and it's work tomorrow). Yes, not really QRV at the moment (transmitting) but still have the licence (G4OYP) and radio gear (Yaesu transceivers mainly). *Another* retirement project - just need someone who's good on ladders (for installing antennas): I get ill at 6 foot altitude when on a perch!

F2F..... indeed - we're allways popping round each others houses and discussing or doing astro stuff - in fact Rockdoctor just left here 20 mins ago. We also have periodic talks and one to one sessions at Belper - plus there's also a variety of socials from pub meets when the weathers bad to xmas meals and the odd summer bbq get together. :)

Wow I would love a peek at your obsy set-up...it's something I have been thinking about for the future myself (a good few years yet) that's awesome your cool with us being nosey :D

i`d be very interested in a look also the obsy, i`m in the process of putting a roll off roof number together and would be nice to maybe get some tips on how other people have done it.

I'm about to call it a night (literally - whilst I'm retired, my partner Sue isn't and it's work tomorrow). Yes, not really QRV at the moment (transmitting) but still have the licence (G4OYP) and radio gear (Yaesu transceivers mainly). *Another* retirement project - just need someone who's good on ladders (for installing antennas): I get ill at 6 foot altitude when on a perch!

I have no problem with heights ;) I regularly throw myself from a plane at 12-15,000 feet at weekends just for fun.

Not presently high as have herniated a disc :(

Guest wisewoman

Hi Genya,

Glad you found us :)

Before you'll know it you'll be heading up the Loughborough North Star Observing group :P

Melissa

Indeed I have just joined (though not subscribed!)

Yes, it *was* Melissa who called - strangely, the first time I've ever had a "cold caller" :) I *have* done the same in the past (knocked on peoples doors) as I am also interested in Amateur Radio and large antenna arrays have a certain appeal :)

As Melissa says, I'd be very happy if people would like to come over and see the equipment. I'll post a photo (I think) if the file size isn't too big.

Do you have F2F meetings? I realise that membership is "East Midlands" so people are - probably - quite a distance from each other? Anyway, early days and there should be time to work something out.... :)

Right, I'll see if I can upload an image...

QRX (please Standby)

AP

Guest Ely Ellis

Hi Genya,

A warm welcome from me.

Yet another ham, G0PYB, over in South Normanton.

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis