• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Live View DSLR on PC expectations

Rachael

Hi,

So I have been using my crop frame Canon 250D with my GoTo  Skywatcher 200P with Canon own EOS Utility programme to observe remotely on my PC in the comfort of my home. I appreciate what I see on my screen will not be the same as viewing through an eye piece. But I have found the experience somewhat disappointing with only being able to observe major stars so far.

My question is, is there anyway to improve by what I can see on the PC Screen? i.e. by using better software such as EOSBackyard or a dedicated Astrophotography camera, changing settings somewhere.

Basically I am a little lost on what can be expected from such a set up.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I'm no expert here, and others may be able to offer better help.

I think you need a dedicated astro camera and more specifically something that offers a 'live stacking' feature.

Have a look on YouTube    >Live stacking astrophotography

Its very interesting stuff, quite indepth and i'm afraid like all things astrophotography will inevitably need a decent budget.

HTH, Rob.

Try APT (Astro Photography Tool), it works well with a DSLR and a scope.

Download DSS (Deep Sky Stacker) to stack your programs and GIMP to process them.

All the above are free. I hope this helps..

Ron

large.Monkey-Head-Neb-270122-0.25Flats.gif.2a9dff73c19d64981405d7d07959e53e.gif

A quick Monkey Head nebula, Canon 1100d and 150 PDS scope.

Edited by RonC
added text

Hi Rachael.

Using the live view for viewing is akin to video photography. Unfortunately dslr live view isnt that sensitive hence you only get the bright stars. 

If you want sensitive live viewing then a dedicated video camera such as Watec or Mintron will be much better, Atik now do a ccd live camera also. 

Most dslr imagers use live view for focusing only. E.g, Choose a bright star, zoom in and focus.

However, using EOS utillities you can set the camera on bulb, choose a fast iso then open the shutter for a few seconds, then view the download. This will show more than live view but requires good tracking, (this is a whole different can of wiggly things)