• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

StellaLyra F12 CC after collimation..

Brady

Alright Dave, visually the scope is amazing, i think the contrast is as good as it gets depending on eyepiece, i use the stellalyra eyepieces and diagonal with this scope and they work for me, im more imaging than visual but its still pleasing to see, not tried on the planets yet for visual but my last images were with this scope..again the primary was a bit out at the time so it could of been a bit better

spacer.png

• Like 3

Wayne

You say you are using all 4 spacer rings to gain focus.

That suggests to me that your secondary mirror is to far away from the primary.

Moving it closer on the adjustment screws will work out roughly at 1mm closer = 13mm off the focus point.

If you have a Ronchi eye piece you can test this.

Place the EP into the focuser and focus on a brightish star.

The following is pretty self explanatory 

spacer.png

All 4 with the camera graham not with an eyepiece, I've read a few people are doing the same with the planetary cameras, with the zwo1600 I'm only using 1 25mm spacer, I don't have a Ronchi but wouldn't mind giving it a try, Dave not sure the mag with a camera, FL of the scope is 2436mm and the camera is zwo224mc if you want to do the sums...I never asked 😁

That would make sense.

I do the same when I use the 120.

Well I actually use a long extension piece in front of the camera rather than changing the scope spacers

I do the same on the ed80 with the 224 graham, I shove on 100mm of T2 spacers whereas the 1600 screws  straight on to the flattener, I don't like doing it on the CC though because there is no thread on the focser it makes me cringe will all that dangling off the eyepiece holder..I'm sure it will hold until it's on the floor 😁

So is collimation the same for the CC's as the RC's ?

I thought they were different designs, so assumed different collimation characteristics...?

The Stellalyra CCs seem to have a big following over on SGL and seem to tick alot of boxes  (Less cooldown and dewing issues for eg compared to SCTs etc.....?)

8 hours ago, Bino-viewer said:

So is collimation the same for the CC's as the RC's ?

I thought they were different designs, so assumed different collimation characteristics...?

The Stellalyra CCs seem to have a big following over on SGL and seem to tick alot of boxes  (Less cooldown and dewing issues for eg compared to SCTs etc.....?)

Pretty much the same technique for collimating both types for me as I use a Howie Glatter with the concentric circle producing lens fitted. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Those are belters Wayne, well done.

My first home made telescope back in the 70's was a 6" Cass with Fullerscopes (aka D Hinds the elder) mirrors. It took me ages to sort collimation, (no internet to quiz or lazer collimators in them days) but when it was on it was a cracking scope.

Cheers mate, I'm really enjoying the scope now, I just want to nail it down a bit more with the Barlow in and it should give me a good few years use..

Excellent stuff, incredible shots.

I think your right Dave, a little too good, I reckon he's been cheating, got his own spaceship in the garage.... 😲🖖

Edited by Mark Harper.