• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Connecting Canon 100mm lens to ZWO camera

Derbyshire Dave

Yesterday I took delivery of an adaptor to allow me to connect my ZWO 183MM camera to my Canon EF lenses.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-canon-ef-lens-t2-adaptor-to-suit-zwo-asi-cameras-mk2.html

I also got an adaptor to attach the ZWO camera to a Vixen bar.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/zwo-78mm-holder-ring-for-zwo-cooled-cameras.html

The aim being to connect my 100mm F2.8 canon lens to do widefield images.

All fitted. I removed the 5mm adaptor on the lens adaptor, as it said I needed to do that to achieve focus I connected all, but alas, no focus.

I then realised that the back focus allowed for did not allow for the 20mm or so in my EFW filter wheel, which I need for my mono camera.

To check this theory out, I removed the filter wheel, and could then achieve focus. Very poor conditions with a bright moon giving gradients, but I still managed to get an image of Orion’s belt to check that all was basically well. This was obviously with no filters, roughly equivalent to a luminance shot.

d)Orion100mmpost

You can even see a little of the flame nebula!

I would need to but a OSC (one shot colour) camera to work in this configuration by not using a filter wheel. Even then, it would be nice to be able to drop in nebual enhancing filters etc.

Has anyone any ideas as to I might run this with a mono camera with filters,

Thanks..

• Like 2

Hopefully someone tomorrow will be able to help with that one Dave ? But a pity that RVO won't be there....

Maybe these adapters for camera lenses to ASIs are only designed to work with OSC cameras ?

• Thanks 1

As you say, maybe somebody at the shpw might know. Still someone here might just have a brainwave! c2 2morrow