• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Setting up for imaging

Stu

Hi folks. After a couple of sessions with my imaging setup 2 things have become abundantly clear. 

1) I need to be a lot more organized. 

2) I need help getting everything working together. 

The kit I have is as follows:

SW AZ-EQ5-GT

SW 150PDS

WO 32mm Guidescope 

Altair GPCAMV2 130 mono 

EOS1000D with MPCC 

I've used APT to get a few basic shots to get me going but now want to step it up a bit. I downloaded PHD2 for guiding. What needs to be connected to where? The guidecam has a USB and an ST4 port. Do I need to use both? I was looking at using some software to control the mount but I don't have enough USB ports on my laptop, just 2. The way I see it I need one for the DSLR, one for the guidecam and another for the mount. Is that right? These will no doubt be the first of many, many questions. Any help will be much appreciated. 

First thing you need is an expansion hub for your USB.

You need to download EQ Mod to run the mount and your guiding.

You will find this here EQMOD (sourceforge.net)

You will need a EQ mod cable for your mount.

Get them from First Light Optics 

Mount uses USB to connect to EQ Mod

Guide cam uses USB along with PHD

Camera uses USB

So you have a mount that can communicate via pc via this cable 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

now you need a pc with a single usb cable going to a hub at mount , then plug  the cable in link to hub , your camera , your guide camera, then download Ascom and install, download  Eqmod and configure, so to start once Eqmod and ascom installed connect the Eqdirect cable to your hub nothing else and configure so that so your connecting/ communicating to mount also  in Eqmod there is a sidereal parameter by default set to 0.10 for RA and Dec set these to at least 0.60, 

Download phd2  plug in your camera to hub , you’ll need to configure phd2 for your camera using brain icon so you need to know guide camera pixel size et and guide scope focal length, Also Enable server in phd2-Tools - bottom of list enable server this will let Apt communicate with phd2 so can Dither frames  you want to dither as will eliminate walking noise , also in phd2 make a dark map as this allows for hot pixels on guide camera so you don’t choose a hot pixel as a star , all seems complicated but if you do one thing at a time in daylight in comfort of home believe me don’t do in dark ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️.

Then in Apt you configure which is fairly straightforward so you need to be able to connect to your camera , and in gear tab be able to connect to mount top left button connect Scope, that’s the basics configure those first then I can tell you how to configure for dithering and installation of Astap for platesolving and then you can basically choose a target from object database in Apt and use Goto++ and be bang on target if I tell you all in one go it will fry your head 😆 I know of a tutorial for setting up Astap so will link that .

note if pc is near mount not a problem if your some distance 5m or more then you need an active cable .

Edited by Bottletopburly

Thank you very much, that's plenty of information to absorb. Next thing to do is write a workflow down instead of fumbling around 😄 I was looking at Pegasus USB hubs but read a lot of posts about just using a normal PC one as its way cheaper, and getting on fine. Is that your experience at all?

6 hours ago, Stu said:

Thank you very much, that's plenty of information to absorb. Next thing to do is write a workflow down instead of fumbling around 😄 I was looking at Pegasus USB hubs but read a lot of posts about just using a normal PC one as its way cheaper, and getting on fine. Is that your experience at all?

Yes just a normal one I use a 12v powered hub usb3 , as I run a 10 m cable from shed pc to mount which has 12v power if your pc next to telescope then you don’t need a powered hub , keep us updated to your progress .

6 hours ago, Bottletopburly said:

Yes just a normal one I use a 12v powered hub usb3 , as I run a 10 m cable from shed pc to mount which has 12v power if your pc next to telescope then you don’t need a powered hub , keep us updated to your progress .

Great, thanks. I don't suppose you could add a link to the one you use or similar could you please? I intend to run it from my PC in the house at some point. I wanted to power my DSLR from it as well, would it need to be powered for that?

Their is a limit to the length of USB cables to ensure reliable operation. 5m is normally quoted for USB2 and 3m for USB3. (So for USB2 you could have 5m between the PC and the hub and a further 5m between the hub and the mount.)

You will need a DC-DC converter to get from the USB 5V to the camera 7.4V and a standard USB2 port may not provide sufficient peak current to power the camera correctly.

6 hours ago, Clive said:

Their is a limit to the length of USB cables to ensure reliable operation. 5m is normally quoted for USB2 and 3m for USB3. (So for USB2 you could have 5m between the PC and the hub and a further 5m between the hub and the mount.)

You will need a DC-DC converter to get from the USB 5V to the camera 7.4V and a standard USB2 port may not provide sufficient peak current to power the camera correctly.

Ok cool, one thing that interested me on the mid range Pegasus box was an adjustable output for cameras. Need to do some digging I think 

• 1 month later...

I think I've got everything i need now to get all the bits talking to eachother. Just the software side of things to sort out. 

• Like 1

On 20/03/2022 at 10:43, Bottletopburly said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

now you need a pc with a single usb cable going to a hub at mount , then plug  the cable in link to hub , your camera , your guide camera, then download Ascom and install, download  Eqmod and configure, so to start once Eqmod and ascom installed connect the Eqdirect cable to your hub nothing else and configure so that so your connecting/ communicating to mount also  in Eqmod there is a sidereal parameter by default set to 0.10 for RA and Dec set these to at least 0.60, 

Download phd2  plug in your camera to hub , you’ll need to configure phd2 for your camera using brain icon so you need to know guide camera pixel size et and guide scope focal length, Also Enable server in phd2-Tools - bottom of list enable server this will let Apt communicate with phd2 so can Dither frames  you want to dither as will eliminate walking noise , also in phd2 make a dark map as this allows for hot pixels on guide camera so you don’t choose a hot pixel as a star , all seems complicated but if you do one thing at a time in daylight in comfort of home believe me don’t do in dark ask me how I know 🤦‍♂️.

Then in Apt you configure which is fairly straightforward so you need to be able to connect to your camera , and in gear tab be able to connect to mount top left button connect Scope, that’s the basics configure those first then I can tell you how to configure for dithering and installation of Astap for platesolving and then you can basically choose a target from object database in Apt and use Goto++ and be bang on target if I tell you all in one go it will fry your head 😆 I know of a tutorial for setting up Astap so will link that .

note if pc is near mount not a problem if your some distance 5m or more then you need an active cable .

Afternoon. So I've managed to connect EQMOD to my mount via the hub, configured PHD2 and configured my DLSR on APT. All seem fine. I can't seem to get APT to talk to the mount through the hub though. Any suggestions?

46 minutes ago, Stu said:

Afternoon. So I've managed to connect EQMOD to my mount via the hub, configured PHD2 and configured my DLSR on APT. All seem fine. I can't seem to get APT to talk to the mount through the hub though. Any suggestions?

I believe everything is talking to one another now. Possibly the quickest I've ever set anything up on a PC 😂Thanks for the guide. Is it just Astap I need to download to carry on down the rabbit hole?

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

I believe everything is talking to one another now. Possibly the quickest I've ever set anything up on a PC 😂Thanks for the guide. Is it just Astap I need to download to carry on down the rabbit hole?

Yes I only use Astap for platesolving now  just follow the guide I linked in earlier post.

Have you configured your planetarium in APT ?

I have not. I use stellarium, will that do the job?

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I have not. I use stellarium, will that do the job?

Yes just configure Stellarium to connect to your mount, configure sensor box to your camera and choose Stellarium in Apt -settings -planetarium, there are YouTube videos on configuring Stellarium.

Excellent. Much appreciated. I'll be back with more questions soon I should think. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2022 at 10:43, Bottletopburly said:

Good morning. I think I've got everything set up, to the point of configuring dithering. Astap is installed and linked to APT. 

It's been a slow process, just not enough days in the week to have time to do it 😄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Good morning. I think I've got everything set up, to the point of configuring dithering. Astap is installed and linked to APT. 

It's been a slow process, just not enough days in the week to have time to do it 😄

try apt dither of 1 which will give you a dither of approx 11 pixels apt dither2 will be about 21 pixels ,i think 1 will work if walking noise shows up then change Apt dither 2,dither every third image to start you can always change to every second if walking noise shows up .

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon. So I've had a play with things and I think it's all working. Is there anything else you can think of to set up before I start having a go at some imaging?

Thanks for all the advice. 

See you on the other side 👋