• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Celestron 11049 NexStar 4 SE

DeRealDeano

Hello Gang,

Been awhile since I've last posted so hope you all are doing well 😁

I have been using an old telescope for some years now and whilst it is good for general viewing through the eye piece, I have never had any joy with taking photos even with previous tips from this great community. because of the lack of quality images, it had killed my joy. but recently I thought I would look into buying a new kit. 

So I started doing a little research and saw the Nikon P1000 Camera that though great this would do it and more. but I questioned myself, do I really want to spend over £1K on a camera? so then I though, let me look into getting a telescope and found the Celestron 11049 NexStar 4 SE. 

Question is, would you guys recommend the Celestron 11049 NexStar 4 SE over the Nikon P1000, have you had any experience with any of them. 

Would really appreciate your feedback as I would love to get an upgrade and start shooting again. 

Thanks much. 

PS: if there are any other you would recommend, please let me know as well. I would prefer one that has a tracking mount. thanks again. 

Edited by DeRealDeano

If you are thinking going down the astrophotography chasm, what kind of astrophotography would you like to start with/realistically aim for? That will ultimately determine what equipment you will need and how deep you pockets need to be. 

I would avoid a camera where the lens cannot be removed if you're ever intending to use it with a telescope and would certainly avoid one with a lens with such a wide zoom range. They may be acceptable for everyday use but I would guess they their astrophotography results would be considered poor.

• Like 1

@Clive, thanks for your response, much appreciated. 

I want to do more planetary imaging. Realistically aiming for our closest neighbor the moon, Saturn, Jupiter etc. 

There are plenty of lunar and planetary imagers on here that will be able to give you much better advice than I ever could. But to perhaps help them, what camera, if any, do you currently own?

Dean

Personally I would save my money and avoid the disappointment. 

The Next star 4 SE is really for beginners as a first scope for visual.

Being a single sided ALT AZI mount with pretty basic electronics it really is not much use for Astro photography.

You would be better off getting a second hand Skywatcher HEQ 5.

Far superior mount with loads of free software  out there for things like guiding and Go To applications.

Hey Graham, thanks for your feedback. 

I just had a quick look, the Skywatcher HEQ 5 is just the mount it seems like, what telescope would you recommend to accompany that? 

If you want to do planetary stuff find yourself a second hand Sky watcher 127,  150 or 180 mac .

Superb for that type of stuff.

• Like 1