• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Mare Imbrium, Mons Pico, Copernicus & Clavius

Nightspore

wcYhtbg.jpg

The Mare Imbrium or Sea of Rains is a lava plain in the Imbrium Basin. The basin itself was almost certainly formed by a monumental collision during the Late Heavy Bombardment era. The lava-filled, one hundred kilometre crater ‘Plato’ is located in the north.

ayOMpTv.jpg

There are several interesting objects in this area including the Montes Teneriffe and Montes Recti ranges. One of my favourites is the solitary Mons Pico mountain.

eezhQes.jpg

Mons Pico, Arizona State University, Apollo Browse Gallery (NASA)

It is about twenty five kilometres long. The peak is nearly two and a half kilometres high. Mons Pico can often be very striking when caught by sunlight. Copernicus is a ninety three kilometre wide impact crater visible with most binoculars. When it is near the terminator it can show a lot of internal detail. The central peaks are over a kilometre high and the spectacularly terraced crater walls are easily viewed. 

EU8g523.jpg

Clavius is the second largest crater on the visible lunar surface. It is highly detailed and features a convex floor plain. There is a recognisable arcing chain of craters in the floor of Clavius known as D, C, N, J and JA. The crater chain was probably formed by an exploding object after Clavius itself was formed.

AtnQ6FY.jpg

The Moon (in Leo) will be 68.3% illuminated and 48°, 11’ altitude at 21:30 BST on 10/5/22.

Screenshots by courtesy of SkySafari Pro

Think I’ll be foiled by clouds again tonight.  Though I shouldn’t be surprised as my Baader Amici Prism arrived today.

23 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

Think I’ll be foiled by clouds again tonight.  Though I shouldn’t be surprised as my Baader Amici Prism arrived today.

Yeah, Baader Amicis are cloud magnets for sure lol. The Big Mak is outside and cooling as I write this. I'm not optimistic though as there seems to be considerable sky porridge. 

Nice report and Lunar objects i'm very familiar with.

Sadly its cloudy here in Derby and rain is expected tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Bino-viewer said:

Nice report and Lunar objects i'm very familiar with.

Sadly its cloudy here in Derby and rain is expected tomorrow.

Thanks. I actually managed to see all of those objects tonight .... for about five minutes due to excessive sky porridge lol. 

• Like 1