• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

The 90° Amici Prism Diagonal

Nightspore

6 hours ago, Glafnazur said:

Nice report, thanks

Thanks. I thought I'd write down some stuff I'd been thinking about for a while.

1XYZ0H4l.jpg

I use this WO a lot with my smaller Mak's. The helical comes from the WO prism housing photo in the article. I bought it years ago from Agena Astro. The Royal Mail lost it when it arrived in the UK. Eventually it got sent back to California. Agena sent it back to me but the prism had become unseated in transit. I finally figured out how to re-seat it by packing it in with foam. But by this time I'd accidentally allowed the prism to drop out of the housing onto the floor, scratching it. The new body above is from a new style WO I bought a couple of years ago that had a borked helical. So I put the two good pieces together lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nightspore said:

Thanks. I thought I'd write down some stuff I'd been thinking about for a while.

Glad you did.  My Baader Amici 1.25" is still waiting to be used on the moon.  It is a very nice piece of kit, though they are difficult to get hold of at the moment.  I had to get mine from Teleskop in Germany.

22 minutes ago, Streetbob said:

Glad you did.  My Baader Amici 1.25" is still waiting to be used on the moon.  It is a very nice piece of kit, though they are difficult to get hold of at the moment.  I had to get mine from Teleskop in Germany.

I'm pretty sure I got mine from TS as well. I'm also pretty convinced they have BBHS coatings. Apparently Baader didn't mention many of their diagonals had silver coatings as silver has a bad reputation for degrading over time. If you get a chance to see the GRS with the 1.25" Amici you'll notice it appears more 'red' than with a dielectric or conventional prism. 

YSjnezHl.jpg

In fact, the only one of these diagonals not to have BBHS coatings is the 'bog-standard' prism nearest the camera. The Amici is furthest from the camera. 

• 1 month later...

First light with my Baader Amici on the crescent moon last night. Allied with my copy of Hamlyn’s Moon guide it made navigating really easy.