• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

2.1mm to 2.1mm cable

Bottletopburly

I’m after a 2.1mm-2.1mm male to male cable no longer than 50cm but with a bigger gauge wire than what I currently use which is the usual thin black and white speaker cable type off eBay , I want one with a thicker cable to go from my power supply to my cooled camera, for the life of me I can’t seem to find one with a bigger gauge wire in 2.1mm to 2.1 mm but can in 2.1mm to 2.5mm  connectors , does anyone know of any supplier .

Farnell do them with 25 AWG wire (which may not be much bigger than your ebay ones) but at just 0.5m the connectors will probably have more resistance than the actual wire (25 AWG is about 0.05 ohm per metre and each 2.1mm barrel plug will have a contact resistance of about the same value). You could always make up your own?

• Like 1

I may make one up thanks @Clive I have some heavier duty twin cable in the house 

Edited by Bottletopburly

6 minutes ago, Bottletopburly said:

I may make one up thanks @Clive I have some heavier duty twin cable in the house 

If you do, make sure you get the high current rated connectors, most 2.1mm barrel connectors only have a lowish current rating (I'm guessing your camera takes about 3 amp?)

• Like 1

@Clive I’ve emailed first light optics they do a silicon cable rated at 4amp which I do have in a different connector type which is very good to see if they can do a shorter cable length 1m being their shortest .