• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

December Darksite Meeting at Belper

Doc

DECEMBER DARKSITE MEETING

BELPER

FRIDAY 30th DECEMBER

AT 19.00 Hrs

The Packhorse Ground

Sandyford Lane

Alderwasley

Belper

Derbyshire

DE56 2DP.

ccwide.jpg

ccclose.jpg

All welcome

If it's clear bring your scope as it will be an observing night.

If it's cloudy we need volunteers to give a talk about something astronomy related.

We need some petrol for the generators, if you have some spare it would be brilliant.

Don't forget a quid towards Martyn's coffee shop. Also Bring

your own cup Just in case we run out.

And above all I hope you enjoy yourself

See you all then.

The post code has a missing letter, it should be

DE56 2DP.

I will be at the Hurt Arms, which is dead opposite where the A610 meets the A6, at 19.00 leaving for the CC at 19.30.

From the car park turn right, and then next right into a small lane which is easy to miss, this is Holly Lane. Just keep on this lane, take care its single track, and gets a bit hairy if its wet or icy.

When you reach the end, turn left onto Belper road, take the next right onto Palerow Lane, and after about 50 meters another right onto Sandyford Lane.

The gate to the Cricket Club is next right, again be careful it's like the moons surface and some of the pot holes are a bit interesting.

Ok, this might seem like a really daft question but I have never been to a dark site meet before so here we go.....Is there any dark site etiquette to follow at these meets or just use common sense, no bright lights etc etc?

I would advise lights to get to cricket club, it's very dark, the entrance is very pot holed so you need lights. If you were turning up very late and everyone was set up maybe side lights.

Ok Mick thanks, I was thinking of more once there, no torches unless red light, no laptops unless they have a red cover, no waving of mobiles with bright lights etc? Or am I being a Scrooge?

At star parties defo but at a meeting people are little more relaxed. But still no white lights only red that is a must.

OK, we have lights even if we don't have a genny.

I have converted a twin lamp halogen work light to run two 11 watt compact florescent's off of a battery and an invertor. This gives us 80 watts of conventional light.

It is not going to blind us, but is there as a back up.

We are all full of a stinking cold here urgh :( hope to make it to this meet. Looks to be cloudy on Metoffice site, and apparently gusts of up to 30mph :unsure:

OK, we have lights even if we don't have a genny.

I have converted a twin lamp halogen work light to run two 11 watt compact florescent's off of a battery and an invertor. This gives us 80 watts of conventional light.

It is not going to blind us, but is there as a back up.

Baz Im bringing a genny, see other thread.

Phil

Just thought I would add this reminder,

DON'T FORGET YOUR MUGS.

I have a few spare but cannot cater for everyone.

Thanx Martyn.

I called in to the club today and the water has been turned off and the pipes drained so I think we should take water with us to brew with and enough to pour down the toilet to flush it.

For those on the light skin... :P

Just thought I would add this reminder,

DON'T FORGET YOUR MUGS.

I have a few spare but cannot cater for everyone.

Thanx Martyn.

:D

This is for those that haven't been to the CC before, try to keep to the edge of the field with your cars to avoid the cricket square.

I can also bring along a powerpack with a built in LED light. It's a white light so no good for observing, but the skies do not look favourable.