• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

Diagonals...what's the deal?

Celeste

I need a diagonal for the 127 mak, now looking around I see so many different models with varying prices. I am assuming they are like EP's, some good, some bad and some downright nasty lol. Which am I to avoid, which are the best budget and midrange buys? Not excatly flushed after xmas lol but I don't have any diagonal at the mo and i'm in agony after using the mak.

I have always used William Optics Diagonals, in fact over the years have used all of them from the cheap to the down right expensive. Of course the more you spend the better the quality but I have found even the cheaper WO stuff is good.

If you want only 1.25" fitting then this is a good one.

/>http://www.firstlightoptics.com/diagonals/william-optics-125-carbon-fibre-dielectric-diagonal.html

Avoid the cheaper end SW diags - they're a bit naff for observing and just ok for guiding. I'm no expert on diags but the Celestron Starbright XLT ones seem to be very useable - and I like the WO offerings too. The revelation ones are good mid range also but I don't know about 1.25" models as I converted my main diagonals to 2". :)

Guest Kheldar

My Revelation kicks the backside of the SW ones.

I don't see much difference between the Revelation and the WO dielectrics - but that's just my opinion :)

i`ve compaired the standard celestron diagonal with a William Optics 1.25" one, and you can see a differance, not massive but the William Optics one was a brighter slightly clearer view.

i`ve now upgraded to a 2" one

Theres diagonals and diagonals, daft statement I know but there are 2 main types Prism and Mirror.

I have tested both types and a good mirro diagonal will beat a prism any day. My WO 1 1/4" is far superior than the stock Meade and Celestron lower price prism diagonals. However the Meade and Celestron mirror diagonals are pretty good, the Celestron XLT just wins over the Meade dialectric.

These tests were done in a variety of scopes over the years including a Mak 127.

However I have a 100 year ish old Broadhurst Clarkson prism diagonal which stands up well to the mirror diagonals, those victorians knew how to make optics.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...