• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

M31 from Gibraltar Point

oldfruit

I know that M31 has been covered a lot of late so sorry for more of the same. Here is my effort.

This was taken last night with 8 inch Helios newt on an EQ5, Canon 1000d, iso 800, 103 x 40 seconds lights and 40 darks. I actually did 150 lights and trawled through them when i got home and took the worst ones out.

After spending ages tweeking it on DSS this is the best i could manage. Not sure if i am doing something wrong or not? Is this about what to expect using the kit and settings that i have above?

Clear skies.

Be very proud, Mark.

YOU took that picture. And I am sure there's plenty more to be 'revealed' in future processing.

DSS isn't exactly crammed with processing functions away from level shifts etc.

I have found Nebulosity to be very good value.

You can stack AND process images to a good level with it.

Dion has also kindly posted a demo

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMhLYg-xPuc

Regards.

Edited by Paul Laws

Thanks for the kind comments folks. I am reasonably happy with how the image has turned out but was expecting a bit more from the amount of subs that were taken. Also i am just starting to learn my way around DSS and whilst i do not expect to be knocking out stunning images with the kit and software i am using, i just want to make sure that i am heading in the right direction towards getting the best out of the kit that i have.

Mark - could you upload and send a link to the DSS autosave file for this?

I'll take a look if you like?

Regards.

That is very kind of you Paul. Also having just seem Peters image of the same object i think that the answer lies in getting more data next time i try to image M31.