• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

plusnet broadband

cosmic dave

Does anyone use plusnet for their broadband ? We are looking at changing from BT to save a few quid. Any thoughts pls.

Di (Andromeda1) uses it Dave and swears by them - but you need to be near a digital upgraded exchange to benefit from the speed. The price is good but you have to have a BT line on top so factor that into the cost. I can't get the speed being out in a village over 2 miles from an exchange - so I'm on Virgin (she's in the center of a city). :)

just asking bout broadband, can anyone tell me if 67mbps download and 16mbps upload speed is any good?

Not sure

Sheila

Guest wisewoman

Now this is my area :)

Plusnet are fine, lots of good reports and certainly cheaper than BT. Talktalk is another cheap one worth looking at too.

I deal quite a lot with new Broadband installations in my job and so I have had experience with all of them.

Sheila- yes those are very good speeds but remember that what the ISP's quote is not necessarily what you will always see when downloading or uploading. In reality there are more variables.

Melissa

Edited by wisewoman

The issue I have with Broadband suppliers is that where we live we can't get the cheap deals, we're paying a higher price for a poorer service

IIRC - they all use the backbone that bottlenecks near London and only one main ISP has a direct through connection - trouble is I can't remember which one - I'll find out tomorrow at work :)

(So the others slap on flow controls - which emerge as "fair use policy" at the consumer end)

They say the exchange at sutton has been deregulated or whatever the word is Paul,

Think its gona be plusnet about £60 a year cheaper than BT.

I actually tested my speed on the internet and thats the results I got from there. I think the supplier promised higher than this!

Sheila

I actually tested my speed on the internet and thats the results I got from there. I think the supplier promised higher than this!

Sheila

I have similar speeds Sheila and it's more than adequate for running multiple devices at high speed in our house.

Most people using BT (and all the companies sharing lines like Plusnet) have an average download speed of only 8MB.

Guest Ely Ellis

more than adequate

?????

67Meg down...... more than adequate!!!

Are you kidding, that is blinding fast.

I just about manage 3.9Meg on a good day.

Sheila, you must have either an exchange in your back garden or your own fibre to your door!

I would like to use Virgin, and get some high speed but the CATV ducting stops 4 doors from my house and they refuse to go that extra 50m.

Even on Virgin's website, I can list every house on my street except the last 4!

Anyway, if your in the sticks, or at least over a mile or two from the exchange, you will get a similar speed whichever ISP you choose, so its down to cost and service.

I use Talktalk as its the best deal. Their current deal, is pretty good, especially if you pay a years line rental up front.

Having done this, my line rental averages £9.50 per month, and I pay £3.25/month for broadband & calls. Calls are free for evening and weekends, and ALL local calls and calls to other Talktalk customers are free regardless of time.

My broadband is unlimited download, but they do traffic shape for file sharing types, although I have never noticed at my speed. Customer service is OK, nothing great, call centres in India but if you have a fault that cannot be resolved by them, it will be passed to 2nd-line-faults which is based in the UK, probably Newcastle way.

You can use the forum to talk to there service dept. too, I have requested profile changes which have been implemented within minutes to increase my speed / reliability and they seem to be quite helpful.

Had a few instances where I have been anoyed with them but call them up and ask to complain to a higher authority and they give you £10 credit instead...not too bad.

Plusnet... I have heard good things about them, but on their cheapest options, you are limited to 10Gig download per month, however it is unlimited between midnight and I think 6 or 7 am, so anything done then does NOT count to your download limit.

BT.... Just not competetive, far too expensive although the BT openzone could be useful. Baring in mind that if you choose to use openzone, that gives you access to hotspots, it also means yours becomes a hotspot and therefore others could be using your bandwidth.

My neighbour has BT and although his connection is listed at 6Meg, he finds it very slow. I have been round to try and find out why his internet is so slow, but it appears to be either BT network or his router is telling lies about the connection. On various speed check sites at different time, he is lucky to get 2meg download.

Of course there are plenty more ISP, but these are the main ones and require you to have line rental from them, others maybe better or cheaper but most likely you still need line rental from BT for them.

Hope his helps.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by Ely Ellis

i use virgin media, i have no problems, they say it`s 20 mb and i tested it and got 19.5 ! so very happy, also virgin are doubling the speed next year for no extra cost,

don`t know if you have them in your area Dave, but every now and again if you treaten to leave they but a good deal together to keep you, my neighbour was paying £85 a month for full package and as i threatened to leave i got the same for £55 a month, my friend wasn`t to pleased, phoned up and got the same deal, git never even bought me a pint for saving him all that dosh L.O.L.

Guest Tweedledum

Also on VMedia. Which is great until anything goes wrong, like their R36 firmware upgrade to the superhub.....

As far as ISP's go with delivery via phone line, much of a muchness (Until all on fibre and decent exchanges close). All state speeds that can be achieved with a fair wind , downhill, and with no contention issues!. Worth going online and performing a speed test, then look at the speeds achieved around your area and with which providers.

Cheers

Edited by Tweedledum

My one is BT and i think they just put new cables/fibre around here, used to be rubbish. This one is something like/called infinity?

But these are the speeds i get and we are a bit in the sticks. I did not know what you were supposed to get

Sheila

From experience broadband suppliers are usually good until something goes wrong, that is why we are with plusnet now. we have lots of problems with our line due to it being 12 miles from the exchange and aluminium cable. At least once a year we have connection problems and bb or phone or both go down Last time plusnet communicated with us and bt and sorted it. nefore we were with bt and had nothing but hassle, delays, phone calls to india etc.

also whatever you do keep away from talk talk, we along with thousands of others left them after the tiscali buy out but they kept billing us for 6 months even though we were no longer connected or using their services. they threatened us and others with bailiffs and court action.

Edited by philjay

I'm on Virgin too, 9.89Mbs download, 1.39 upload, and 11ms ping. I have no idea what I am supposed to get, but it seems fast to me compared to the old dial up days.