• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

East Midlands Starparty 1

cosmic dave

Hi guys, when I started organising ems1 at the beginning of the year I booked the site and told the owners I expected there to be 10 to 12 people attending, that's what I thought a new starparty would attract. Anyway I pleased to say we actually have 26 ems members confirmed attending with several more still undecided. So Thanks very much for your support that's more than I dared hope for last January BRILLIANT !! :) Now lets hope for clear skies.

PS, there is still plenty of room at the site if you still have not booked you would all be most welcome.

David

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Teslar

• Craig

• RonC

Well done Dave. Really looking forward to this. I know the Elac members but will be nice to put names to faces of other EMS members.

Edited by oldfruit

good number there, can i ask who is organising barbeque on first night and what if anything we need to bring?? I have a small table that can be set on fire I don't mind LOL

Sheila

26 + people atending, that is a fantastic number for our very first star party!

B)

So to echo some of the comments above, what are we doing regarding food? Is everybody bringing their own, are we having BBQ every night, so we all chip in, if we are all chipping in, actual food or cash and somebody goes get it all? Never done a star party before so not sure how you guys organise such things?

Well done Dave, and to everybody from EMS for attending and hopefully making it a great starparty!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

We normally have a BBQ on one night, most likely Saturday night, in most cases it's myself and Noel who collects the money and gets the food and then it's a joint effort who cooks it, if it's me I set fire to things so a fire extinguisher is a good item to have around.

The last one was cooked by Geezanova and myself with Noel barking orders from the sideline, it worked pretty well until the table caught on fire.

We normally ask for £5 per person and try and supply burgers, sausages, chicken bits, and salad etc and any money left we buy some wine.

It's not gourmet eating and Gordon Ramsay would die in shame but it's edible.

As we have 26 people , I think we need alot more staff and maybe let an old man like me take a back seat, I can bark orders instead of Noel.

Thinking we should wait and see the weather before make any firm plans on the BBQ, a joint effort sounds the way to go tho, have u still got ur kelling burnt table Mick ? To use as a stand ?

Not booked yet as the camper was temporarily out if action but i get it back next week so ill be there :) can supply a small gas BBQ if required and will bring most of my kit and the new QHY5-II if anyone wants a look. Not got it yet but it should arrive in time. I also hope to gain some knowledge when I'm there as currenly I've got the gear but no idea :)

just a question i thought it was not near anywhere so fish and chips would be a problem as by the time they arrive they will prob be cold???

Sheila

26 portions of chips should keep eachother pretty warm for quite a while I would have thought due to the sheer mass of potato! I can pop to Costco for burgers, bacon, etc if needed.

Dave, how are we 'doing' the bring'n'buy sale? Set time or all day? In one place or at each's tent front?

Any idea's?

That's fine, group of us going to Gib Point about 3.30ish so as to see the SE Owls at dusk, but back for darkness!!

I'm very late on this as I thought I was "required" else where but seems I now have the weekend free. Just dropped an email to Manor Farm and hopefully they will have a hard stand available still. Off so it would be nice to catch up with you all :)