• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

East Midlands Starparty 1

cosmic dave

Plenty of pitches but not sure about hard pitches, be great to see you there but I would call the site as they are not great at answering email !

David

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Teslar

• Craig

• RonC

I'm very late on this as I thought I was "required" else where but seems I now have the weekend free. Just dropped an email to Manor Farm and hopefully they will have a hard stand available still. Off so it would be nice to catch up with you all :)

Definitely phone them-I sent 4 emails and got 0 replies. One phone call and all sorted :)

To be honest, they seem quite laid back, and I think we have the entire site to ourselves.

I wouldn't be worried about getting a space.

They don't even want a deposit, just pay when you turn up.

They have some excellent reviews as well, not a huge site, but well kept and very friendly.

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=3603

Yes its a very nice well kept site, I'm hoping to do a regular starparty there, let's see how this one goes. The owners are typical laid back lincolnshire folk tho ;)

Anyone into surfing or bodyboarding ? Autumn is the best time on the east coast so bring your wetsuit and board to ems1 if your up for it, I am happy to go in for a dip with you.

I'll leave that one to you Dave, to nesh for us soft midlanders! :wacko:

lol this is the warmest time of year for the water, what about a paddle ??

Just wondering about security at the campsite. I'm guessing with lots if expensive equipment on show it could be a bit risky if any undesirables got to know about the event through forum haunting or other means. I take it that packing everything away afters a session is a given but will there be any one watching unattended equipment or is it individual responsibility ?

Errrr, good question.

Never done a star party before, I know some people are off on the Saturday "bird watching" but I`m not going, so I was going to keep an eye out best I could, on behalf of the people who were going, I would of though it wise to of at least pack scopes etc away into the tent when not in use?

At Kelling it's quite common to see scopes outside 24hrs per day right through the week. The smaller scopes often get moved inside the tent/awning at the end of a session - but the larger ones and many others tend to just get covered over and left outside ready polar aligned. I personally leave the mount and scope covered over after removing all expensive bits inside the caravan.

Ultimately though - it is the responsibility of the owner to insure and protect their own kit. :)

kelling all stuff is left out and up, although covered over. No one takes stuff in apart, from maybe ep's and the like. there is always someone around to keep an eye on things.

Nobody lost anything at kelling and no real secuiry

Sheila

I think Kim nailed it.

Ultimately though - it is the responsibility of the owner to insure and protect their own kit. :)

Thanks I did know it was ultimately my own responsibility just wondered if there were any recommended precautions. Seems I'm a bit away from the main area being on a hard stand up near the toilet block so was a bit wary about leaving things when I go to the main area or vice versa if I were to set up in the main area

Never been to a star party before so I'm not sure what the form is ....

Ill be arriving hopefully before dusk but its 214 miles on the A1 and sundry roads so difficult to plan an arrival. If its dark ill hold off outside and park up for the night

check your home policy, the all risks section. mine is covered under there. Dont know bout yours?

Sheila

You've nailed it on the head as well Steve - I've never found such a policy and I've heard loads of folks say you just can't get them. Bit daft though - cos you can insure a 10 grand motorbike which gets left outside. Work that one out.......

One thing's for sure though - if stuff does get pinched it ain't gonna be during the hours of darkness lol. And there's allways other astronomers around during the daytime so I reckon the odds are slim. :)

my gears covered under my home insurance, all risks away from home upto £2000, cost next to nothing

My lee 106 primary red filter arrived today so have been sticking it on everything!

Here's the normally white LED tent light I use for camping but pimped for EMS1 :)ugedatud.jpg

There will be plenty of people around so I wouldn't worry to much about it. The site has only one entrance and the owner lives on site at front gate. If you are really worried can you lock your equipment in your car ?

Just seen the local forcast for the weekend, its dry and warm all weekend after rain clears thursday night, broken cloud :)