• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

East Midlands Starparty 1

cosmic dave

I am setting up the tent this afternoon to make sure we have had no visitors nesting in it. Wey hey its nearly time. ;)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cosmic dave

• Teslar

• Craig

• RonC

Can anyone recommend a general list of things to bring? I'm a novice camper and all I can think of is tent and telescope! Do you guys store your astronomy equipment in yours tents or cars? do they stay dry enough in these places? Just in need of general tips and advice as my mind is in shambles over it!

Can anyone recommend a general list of things to bring? I'm a novice camper and all I can think of is tent and telescope! Do you guys store your astronomy equipment in yours tents or cars? do they stay dry enough in these places? Just in need of general tips and advice as my mind is in shambles over it!

tent, clothes, sleeping bag, something to sleep on, not floor!!! Scopes normally stay outside so you need a weatherproof cover. Food and cooking stuff as there is no shop for food or gas. may need thermals it looks like its gonna be cold, hat also Chair and something to eat food off!

most other stuff you should be able to work out eventually. battery if you scope needs one and electric hook up cable if you need power.

red light torch and make sure no white lights in car once we have set up cos of the imagers

Sheila

Sheila

I think Sheila has covered the main items, I will just add some useful handy things. ;-)

Bog roll, wet wipes, spare pairs of socks, empty carrier bags and a Comfort bottle makes a good comfort bottle. ;-)

I'm sure if anyone forgets anything, there'll be someone who has a spare. :-)

I accidently posted the same question in the EMS xmas meal thread lol

I did wonder! :lol:

Warm waterproof boots, if your feet are cold than all of you is cold.

I will have 2 tents one to store stuff and one to sleep in.

Oh and a little electric heater cos I'm a cheat ;)

Get a cheap double duvet from one of the super markets, 13 tog. You can wrap the ota in it for transport, and wrap yourself in it if you get cold.

Take something to get you off the ground, a couple of foam rolls, or a self inflating mattress, not technically a mattress, but it helps keep ya butt warm.

Air beds are ok, but put something under you to trap the heat, or all you will be doing is heating the air in the air bed. One of the cheap emergency foil blankets would do the job, it reflects the heat back at you.

If you aren't warm in the sleeping bag, it's bloody miserable.

Is looking unlikely I will make it even for the Saturday at present :( couple of bad days (and nights) with my back. Am gonna have to make decision on sat morning. Really wanna do this. I dark proofed my tent light and all torches and everything! Wish I could turn back time and just not attempt 20 100kg deadlifts at the gym!! Only myself to blame-that's what's so annoying :(

I could do with a waterproof cover for the 300p dob - can anyone recommend something suitable?

Plenty of room in my large tent if u need it. I'm only using it for storage.

I use an outside table and chair cover from B&Q, it says it's waterproof and I've had no reason to doubt it yet, it's rather old and battered now though.

I use an outside table and chair cover from B&Q, it says it's waterproof and I've had no reason to doubt it yet, it's rather old and battered now though.

I'll nip in tomorrow and see if theyve got anything suitable