• Join the online East Midlands astronomy club today!

With active forums, two dark sites and a knowledgeable membership, East Midlands Stargazers has something for everyone.

I'm on the hunt...

Craig

Having sold my 300P, purely due to weight and my house layout (I had to lift it over the top of my head to get it out), I am now on the hunt for a replacement.

Budget circa £1500.

I'm not wanting a Dob this time round as they take up valuable storage space, so an EQ/AZ mount with OTA would be superb.

Any ideas?

Visual mainly, though I am not opposed to imaging in the future.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Craig

• Doc

• Brantuk

• catman161

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Doc today, and was talking about how much hassle it was for you to set up.

I suggested a 6" - 8" Mak or SCT, as they give a great view, but are a sensible size for setting up and storage. Then if you get the itch, you could venture over to the dark side as well.

Good Luck.

I would also suggest a Mak when space is at a premium. An 8" model would be pretty good at most things. If you do not want tracking or goto then I suggest a sky tee mount and tripod to put it on.

Another vote for the Skytee 2 and a Mak.

Compact, easy to lug about and performs well.

The skytee can handle ridiculous loads so gives future proofing should you want

a larger ota in the future.

John

Regarding Mak's have a look at the SW 150/180.

Really good optics, would fit a crayford to avoid mirror flop.

Fantastic scopes at reasonable price.

The intes micro's are superb bit do not come up as often.

Realistic cooldown times are 40 mins to 1 hour.

I rally love my Mak :)

Very happy with my Skymax 180pro on the NEQ6 but to fit your budget you have to get the NRQ6 second. The mount isn't essential to the Mak but it would keep your options open.

If your happy with planets and the moon your gonna love a Mak :)

epytamas.jpg

if space is a premium Criag, then the heq5 takes up a fair bit unless you fold it up, i`m using a heq5 with a 8"sct and i must say that the scope is very versitile, good for planets, gives a nice size view or image and using a reducer makes a reasonable dso scope.

plus you can use eq mod on the heq5 which i now find is alot easier to use than the handset.

don`t forget the scopes also come on the nexstar mount which is smaller and lighter than the heq5.

Thanks all

I've been looking at the Celestron C8 and C9.25 on a NexStar mount, but I'm not sure how the mount compare to the HEQ5. Has anybody any experience of these?

Heq5 is a lot better from the point of view of load capacity and also if you intend imaging.

Nexstar ok up to C8 but would have clearance issues with the 9.25. Its alt az of course.

Our new to us C8 is on fork mount with a wedge? this also tracks. I've no idea how that compares to any of the ones mentioned, but you're very welcome to have a look and play. :-)

A 800 CPC would be easier to store and move around.

A mod on AstronomyShed forum was selling one, myself and Glider know him.

If you are a member here is the link -

http://www.astronomyshed.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10602

Celestron CPC 800 xlt, full goto with GPS fitted with Revlation Crayford focuser and Telrad base, good for planetary imaging and visual on planets and DSO's is also very good............................................................................£800

I can't remember my login details... Doh.

Edit: Yes I can (e-mail found)... Do you guys know if they prune inactive members? :)

I can't remember my login details... Doh.

Edit: Yes I can (e-mail found)... Do you guys know if they prune inactive members? :)

I don't think so, but if you need re-activating its only a quick email.

Sorted it, I must have changed my mail at some stage.

Heh

You are not authorised to read this forum.

I guess I should post more! :lol:

I just nearly purchased a 250PDS EQ6 PRO on impulse... I'm going to sit on both hands and think about it for a while!

:unsure:

I just nearly purchased a 250PDS EQ6 PRO on impulse... I'm going to sit on both hands and think about it for a while!

:unsure:

If the price is right, DO IT!!

£1,399 (so new) including a free power supply.

Trouble is, I don't know how that would stack up for imaging. There's a C9.25 on a CG-5 EQ mount for the same price.

Trouble is, I don't know how that would stack up for imaging. There's a C9.25 on a CG-5 EQ mount for the same price.

Hmmmm I guess it depends then down to personal preference on newt vs SCT.

What a lovely predicament to find yourself in lol ;) ha ha!

Thats pushing it on an EQ5.

As is always said - Get the best mount you can afford then get the appropriate telescope for the mount.